Bat boxes

Hi all,

I'm considering installing some bat boxes in the woods abutting my property - we have had a lot of bugs this year and I like the idea of a natural solution. I'm in S. New Hampshire, so winters are very cold and snowy...

Questions:

Do the boxes need to be "baited" initially w/ anything to attract the bats to roost there?

Do the bats migrate out and then re-assume them as home seasonally?

How far up a tree do they need to be hung/mounted? I assume hang on North side to diminish effects of sunlight?

For a 2 acre cleared lot, are 2 or 3 boxes, strategically placed in surrounding woods, enough to make a dent in the overall bug population (assuming they are used by the bats)?

Is it too late this year to benefit from this, or should I wait until next spring?

Thanks for any/all responses!

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'Sullivan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) I'm considering installing some bat boxes in the woods abutting my :) property - we have had a lot of bugs this year and I like the idea of a :) natural solution. I'm in S. New Hampshire, so winters are very cold and :) snowy... :) :) :)

Lar

Useful links. Thanks.

TB

Reply to