basement insulation question

Did you remove the flame? Yes, it will burn as long as there is a source of ignition. When you take away the source, it will go out. Assuming you are using insulation grade material. I've been doing that test frequently for the past 35 years on hundreds of batches of material and it has never failed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes Ed I removed the flame and the blue foamboard burnt by itself till it was gone, Im going to try some more different brands.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well I just tried it again, it took 5-10 seconds to ligh then burnt on its own till it consumed itself. It was Dow blue styrofoam board R 5.5"

Reply to
m Ransley

That means it depends on the conditions. Let's face it do you really want to use a material in a way that it MIGHT kill you?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Anything MIGHT kill you if the house is on fire. If the house is not on fire, it is as safe or safer than most of the other material you have. Add together all the carpeting, upholstery, bedding, wall coverings, and something in there will surely kill you if it burns. Of it will give you cancer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Very true. I was found to have cancer 35 years ago and I was given a

10% chance of living 5 years. Today after about a dozen new cancer sites, I am still here. It may get me someday, but I am working on staying ahead. I avoid the sun and use sun screen. I do the same in my home. If I know something offers a possible hazard I avoid using it, especially when there are viable alternatives. I do suggest that you no longer suggest that there is no danger or to overly minimize the danger.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That is your opinion. Mine differs and I will continue to inform people of FACTS. Do as you please.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski