Basement Insulation

Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason (health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.
---Mick

Nope, it is Owens Cornings brand of extruded polystyrene foam plastic. Same material used in the meat packing trays and take out food containers. It is treated with bromides to retard burning. There is no outgassing of any chemicals.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed, that wacky tobacco is getting to you again. :-)
Mick,
There is some unconfirmed concern about the glass fibers, but I don't think you have much to worry about. Personally I would likely cover it if it were mine, just to keep things cleaner and neater.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duh, I was thinking of the pink foam plastic sheets, not the plain old fiberglass.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oh. I see. That is different. I seem to remember that it is OK for use without a fire barier, but I would check that. Other than that I don't see a problem. I don't think I would bother covering it.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I believe they are highly flamable and must be covered but check manufacturer's specs to be sure.
wrote in message

I can't think of any direct health problems. It might collect dust. White painted gypsum board would reflect light better.
TB
Mick wrote:

It probably gets disturbed every time someone walks on the floor upstairs.
I know the jury is still out on fiberglass exposure, but I personally would feel "uncomfortable" with a source directly overhead.
Jim
Considering the asbestos debacle, I would think that if anything was showing up as a problem, they would have stopped using fiberglass in furnace filters long ago.

The problem that came to my mind. If he was to staple some plastic under the floor, then the vapor barrier would be on the wrong (unheated) side of the fiberglass.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas