Barrel Tile Roof

Hurricane Wilma did quite a job on barrel tile roofs, including mine. It ripped off about 15 to 20 tiles. According to officials it might take up to a year to get people and tiles to make repairs to everyone's roof. The Corp of Engineers will not install blue tarps on these roofs. My house if 6 years old and I know that the roof was hot-tarred and papered before the barrel tiles were installed. Does it sound like I might have leakage problems? It didn't leak during the hurricane and it's pouring right now and not leaking. Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

Reply to
JerryL

I live in Arizona and hot mopping IS NOT DONE under a tile roofs. The tile prevents the sun and a lot of the water from the membrane that is the actual water proofing part of the roof. Exposure to the sun and weather would be a concern over time. Your real question which only someone who has seen your installation can answer "How long before the roof is leaking?" I would be consulting someone local. The contractor that did your home would be a really good place to start.

Reply to
SQLit

Well, in South Florida they hot mop the roof. As for getting a contractor to examine the roof, they are giving appointments for 6 months from now just to examine the roof.

Reply to
JerryL

I was inferring the find the contractor that did your house. The contractor of record should be able to answer the question over the phone after all he put it on. At least a range of time.

Reply to
SQLit

I appreciate the help but there is no contractor of record. The builder of the development, who dissappeared after the last house was built use to hire crews to do the roofs. Most of the builders do that down here. It's not a roofing company or contractor. Just a band of roving workers.

Reply to
JerryL

I'd at least try to band-aid the problem by putting *something* up there to protect the waterproofing layer from UV and mechanical damage. Doesn't have to be pretty.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Geez...last year's hurricanes didn't bother mine at all (central Florida)...falling limb broke 2-3 in the lowest course _____________

Should be much more than paper. Usual is 90# mineral impregnated felt...heavy roofing material. ________________

No, not if it is 90# hot mopped on _________________

Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

That *is* your roof...the tiles are mostly pretty-pretties and afford weather protection to the mopped on material.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

The problem with exposed underlayment is that UV from the sun will damage it over time. Most "felt" type underlayments are only warranteed for 30 days of direct exposure. Modified bitumen (a thicker sheet than felt) will withstand almost unlimited exposure. If you aren't sure what kind of underlayment you have I would find a way to cover the exposed areas to prevent excessive sun exposure.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Great. Thanks for the info. After Wilma, there are very few houses that didn't lose barrel tiles. It looks like a tornado ripped through the place. Luckily, we didn't lose too many trees this time. We lost most of them last year during Frances and Jean.

Reply to
JerryL