Bad smell from rug

I bought a used rug recently that smells. The seller eventually told us that there had been a dog around that may have done his business on it. The rug is clean and I have since tried those sprays that are meant to neutralize old urine smells. The smell still won't go away. It *MAY* have diminished slightly but I'm not sure. Should I continue with doses of these sprays or is it a lost cause?
If it's truly an old urine smell the dog must have pissed all over it every day for months.
Thanks.
Paul

The
have
these
every
Send it out to be cleaned. I think that the seller should pay for it. Adding more chemicals to the rug is not helping.
D'Olier wrote:

Check to see if you can have it dry cleaned. If not, they advertise a product on TV called urine-b-gone that might work. I do know for a fact that you can use a black light to spot urine stains.

This probably explains why the guy sold the rug. And, as P.T. Barnum said..........well...you know what he said.
the are pro rug cleaners in most twns that you carry in the rug and they run it thru a bath to elminate odors

Leave it out in the rain and wind for a couple of months. Viz. Inherited an antique cabinet one time that had been 'stored' behind a horse in a barn for years. Needless to say it smelt. Rain treatment and refinishing took care of it and today it resides a dish cabinet in the dining room.

An even better idea. Not the same problem but I had a thermal blanket that a roommate let stay wet for weeks and it was very mildewed. I washed it in a automatic washer, and it smelled just as bad as ever. Then I dried it in rather hot dryer and it smelled great. Never smelled bad again.
So, rain and wind, and if necessary follow with a healthy doze of hot sun.

Smelt? What do fish have to do with this? And, how long was the cabinet out in the rain?

OK Doug, I'll take the bait! Hook, line, float and sinker. You seem to be fishing around for something to carp about?
I had first written 'smelled' then changed it to 'smelt'. Possibly that is not the correct past tense of smell. Perhaps I should have written 'smolt'?
Anyway while not about to fly off the reel this line of discussion is something of troll, in my opinion, to perhaps float a discussion and lure someone who flounders with his spelling .
Gee whiz better stop now; running out of allusions which have any scale of comparison to reality.
Weight a minute; "Me old trout", as old some old time fishermen here might say. Don't get trapped in a net; land the darn fish!

So....you left a wooden cabinet out in the rain? How long?
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:35:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

The rug (and the cabinet) never smelled at all. YOU smell. They stink.

Having problems keeping up with this discussion?

That sounds good. I had a friend who worked for a traveling carpet cleaner, and when a visiting dog peed on my carpet, he gave me a bottle (I think it cost 10 dollars 20 years ago, but this kind of company had a tremndous markup.) of stuff meant just for dog pee, or pee.
I think it worked, but there hadn't been much pee.
If there is a product that works, I don't know why they wouldn't also sell it in regualr stores, but others may understand this issue better than I.
Still, if it smells bad all over the rug, and you've already tried some things, maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up. My carpet was nailed down. Tthis you can just throw away.
go to a pet store and ask to use a BLACK LIGHT...................wait until dark and then examine your rug!
--

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he has his own army!
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Falafel-police.wmv

There are enzyme cleaners formulated to remove organic odors. Check in the pet supplies at your local department store. Some carpets may shrink during the cleaning process (not sure if yours is wool or nylon.) A deep pile carpet will be much more difficult than a burber. If you'd like to try a home solution, sprinkle a box of baking soda evenly over the carpet, tamp it in with a broom stick, allow this to set for several days, then vacuum. Depending of the type/cost of the carpet you may want to hire a professional service.