AV wiring question

Whether I use composite or component to feed the video from a DVD player to a TV, are the wires the same? The jacks look the same so the connectors are the same? Where do I buy these wires? I assume they are standard AV wires right? That the audio lines and the composite video or component video lines are the same types of wires and connectors correct? or no?

I need to run a component + audio + composite and audio from one location to another and when I did a search for 25' long wires some of these web sites charges like $100 a piece. May be those are gold plated connectors but I am not a pro just looking for something practical. I need some advise on getting reasonably priced wires and make my own connectors - can I? or do I need special crimper - I have one for RG6 and one for Cat5 already.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

According to miamicuse :

Physically, they're just ordinary RCA phono jacks and shielded cable. However, video (whether the video signal in composite, or the the three (RGB) in component), is considerably more demanding on the cable than audio. Degradation is visible as "halos" or "smear", or what looks like "misaligned color overlays" (especially in RGB).

While you shouldn't fall prey to the monster cable madness and pay as much as $1000 for a 6' RGB cable, el cheapo/sloppy DIY cable _will_ disappoint you at 25'.

So, be prepared to pay more for the video cables. $100 for a 25' RGB isn't too far out of line, but, you should be able to get decent ones for half that.

Skip Radio Shack and places like that. Tigerdirect.ca has 25' RGB cables for $35CDN. Try tigerdirect.com.

You can go cheaper on the audio cables.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

To run cables from my computer(50ft) to my TV and audio receiver for both video and tunes I just used RG6 coaxial cable(standard cable wire) with RCA or composite adapters......Same cable and adapters worked fine for a digital (audio) feed as well. Fry's and probably Radio shack sell the adapters...... Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Rod is right, use RG6 (and QUAD shield). I ran as many as 10 cables from my TV location to my A/V rack.

And yes, invest in a good compression tool (crimper as you say). Buy the good connectors. Even Home Depot has started selling compression tools and connectors, my preference is SNS (snap n seal).

There are many websites where you can buy the F-type -> RCA/comp adapters.

Reply to
outriderx31