Attic fan dead? (i.e. probably electric motor problem)

Hi,

My attic gable vent fan stopped working and so I went upstairs to find a plastic bag tangled in it. It's this model:

I removed the bag, but nothing happened. I unmounted the fan, took it to the garage, and found that power still gets to the motor, but... it just doesn't do anything. I don't see or smell anything burned. I don't see any fuses. Any ideas of whether/how I can fix? Thanks

Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

IDK what kind of thermal protection they have, but it might be a thermal fuse. If it does and you can find and test it, it might be blown. HD and similar also sell replacement motors that I think run ~$40 that fit many of the fans, but for that type fan, it may not make much difference in price or ease of installation. For roof mounts, it does.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd check for continuity. Might be as Trader says, thermal fuse. If the thermal is open, I'd be sure to replace it, not just jump out. Might save you from a fire, if the motor over heats the next time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And if it's a motor that's seen a lot of service and given the application, I'd just replace the motor or the whole fan. It's a tough environment and no one is going to see or smell a smoking motor that's about to catch fire.

Reply to
trader_4

While OP is going through all that work, a $112 fan sounds like a pile of money. Might be cheaper than the fire later.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In news:lq8o7m$9kj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, HomeGuy"

Reply to
TomR

Since you're in North Salem CT, you might want to call these people:

Industrial Electric Motors Incorporated Electrical Motor

85 Shelter Rock Rd, Danbury, CT 06810 Between Jansen St and Cross St

(203) 743-9611

And ask them how much a 1/8 or 1/10 horse-power attic fan would cost.

Most likely your fan is burned out, or the internal thermal fuse is blown (and is non-resettable).

You could unscrew the 4 long screws and pry the case open and check the windings. You might be able to find the thermal fuse (I'm assuming there is one) and remove it (bypass it).

Reply to
HomeGuy

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
trader_4

Hi Everyone. I'm the OP. Thanks for all the good technical advice. I will definitely not be reusing the fan, as it's not worth the risk or the effort to repair. At least it's worth something for scrap. Thanks again! Regards, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill