Attic fan dead? (i.e. probably electric motor problem)

Hi,
My attic gable vent fan stopped working and so I went upstairs to find a plastic bag tangled in it. It's this model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1600-CFM-Power-Gable-Vent-in-Mill-PG3X/100088166 I removed the bag, but nothing happened. I unmounted the fan, took it to the garage, and found that power still gets to the motor, but... it just doesn't do anything. I don't see or smell anything burned. I don't see any fuses. Any ideas of whether/how I can fix? Thanks
Theodore
On Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:38:13 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

IDK what kind of thermal protection they have, but it might be a thermal fuse. If it does and you can find and test it, it might be blown. HD and similar also sell replacement motors that I think run ~$40 that fit many of the fans, but for that type fan, it may not make much difference in price or ease of installation. For roof mounts, it does.

thermal fuse. If the thermal is open, I'd be sure to replace it, not just jump out. Might save you from a fire, if the motor over heats the next time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:04:15 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And if it's a motor that's seen a lot of service and given the application, I'd just replace the motor or the whole fan. It's a tough environment and no one is going to see or smell a smoking motor that's about to catch fire.
On 7/17/2014 9:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:

While OP is going through all that work, a $112 fan sounds like a pile of money. Might be cheaper than the fire later.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
In wrote:

Wouldn't bypassing the thermal fuse be a VERY BAD idea due to the fire hazard that could cause?
On 7/17/2014 11:00 AM, TomR wrote:

Homo Gay is the biggest bumbling idiot who ever had the misfortune to vomit onto his key board some useless, worse than useless drivel that clogged the news group with bilge water from a rotted undertaker's barge. Homo Gay ought to be taken out, left for the ants, eaten by elephants, turned into elephant poop, and then rocketed to Mars.
At least this flame didn't burn down the OP's house. Bypass a thermal fuse.... might.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:00:58 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Yes. It also doesn't seem like a particularly great idea to call a local company called "Industrial Motor" about a gable fan motor when the whole fan is easily replaced and they also have replacement motors available that probably fit at HD for $40.
But then it is HomelessGuy, so what do you expect?
Hi Everyone. I'm the OP. Thanks for all the good technical advice. I will definitely not be reusing the fan, as it's not worth the risk or the effort to repair. At least it's worth something for scrap. Thanks again! Regards, Theodore
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Since you're in North Salem CT, you might want to call these people:
Industrial Electric Motors Incorporated Electrical Motor 85 Shelter Rock Rd, Danbury, CT 06810 Between Jansen St and Cross St
(203) 743-9611
And ask them how much a 1/8 or 1/10 horse-power attic fan would cost.
Most likely your fan is burned out, or the internal thermal fuse is blown (and is non-resettable).

You could unscrew the 4 long screws and pry the case open and check the windings. You might be able to find the thermal fuse (I'm assuming there is one) and remove it (bypass it).