Attaching basement pole covers with "Great Stuff"?

I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit 70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam, but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is well suited to this? Any other suggestions?
Urethane glue/sealant?

Mike wrote:

How wide is the gap between the pole and the surround? If it is small, then construction adhesive. If it is larger, then use construction adhesive to attach blocks to the pole, then glue the surrounds to the blocks.
I wouldn't use foam for this, but if you must, then look for minimal expanding foam.
http://www.touch-n-foam.com/foamminimal.htm
http://www.reddevil.com/products.cfm?c=me&catE
http://www.shophometrends.com/product.asp?pn@9513&bhcd2 02837613
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

There are several brands of LATEX foam on the market that are routinely used in construction, by window installers, etc. IIRC, DAP is one brand and is widely available. It has zero effect on glue joints, so squirt away all you want and the results will be just fine. Allow at least a day or so for the foam to cure before trimming off excess. Water cleanup is also a great advantage. HTH
Joe

1 - Cut 3 (or more) octagons from some 3/4 stock. The outside dimensions should equal the inside dimensions of your oak surround. 2 - Cut these octagons in half. 3 - Cut a semi-circle into each half, the same radius as the radius of the pole. 4 - Pre-drill and screw these octogons around the pole at the top, bottom and in the middle. Use construction adhesive where needed to hold them in place. 5 - Place your surrounds against these octagons and glue/screw them to the supports.
I probably should have been more clear in my original post - the wood covers are already in place. They're simply flopping around in the poles, waiting to be attached to something, somehow. I originally planned to drill a couple of holes in the top and bottom into which I would inject some expanding foam. This was the original plan, but it appears, from the responses, so far, that there are other, perhaps better plans. Nevertheless, this is where I am. I'm wondering if this plan was ill-advised. Should I continue on this path, or should I try to remove them and implement one of these? Assuming the expanding foam idea is a good one, is there a brand/type that is ideally suited to this application? Worst case is that it won't work, and I'll be no worse off than I am now.

I agree. Try foam. Avoid DAP latex, it has no stick and very weak body strength -- it won't do anything for you except cost money and make a mess. Most any polyurethane foam will have adhesive properties.
I'd probably try the low expanding ("for windows and doors") version of Great Stuff. Don't fill the cavity full, but only injecting foam at top and bottom will likely be fine even with regular foam since it will have plenty of room to expand vertically.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

How much space between the covers and the pole is there, and how were the sections attached to each other? If you glued the pieces together all the way around, removing them could be difficult, if not impossible. If that's the case, then perhaps foam is how you should go.
However, if you could get them apart, I would still use some type of blocking system, either the full octogon I suggested earlier or maybe just some blocks on 4 sides of the pole.