At what point can you close the damper on a fireplace?

Hi there I am new to fireplaces. I have a heatolator insert fireplace, which is just great. If I close the damper (its either open fully or closed) it still seems to burn, just slowly, and no smoke enters the house. Am I supposed to close the damper before I go to bed, if there are just coals left? Or should I leave it open all night until its cold?
Thanks and sorry for the novice question!
Dean
head yourself down to the library and learn how to use your stove properly. i assume you cant use a search engine properly either... maybe check that one out too while you are there.
randy

don't be a shit head. if everyone followed your advice this form would not exhist.
randy - take your head out of your arse...
I guess he doesn't get it, that its easier to ask than to 'pop down to the local library and look it up'. Especially as its anonymous here so who cares if you ask a dumb question?
Jeez
funny how many people chose to attack me for giving proper advice, yet offer nothing of their own on the subject.
let me spell it out for you.
you cannot learn enough to operate a fireplace safely in a couple paragraphs from short newsgroup answer to an incomplete question. looking at the replies so far, i think that should be obvious. you dont need to go anywhere. just use a search engine and search for fireplace safety. it should be clear from the question that this person needs to know a bit more about how a stove operates than simply should i close the damper at night.
its not a dumb question. never said it was. there are no dumb questions. just dumb comments about the answers...
randy

Well it was not your advice that I disliked, it was the way you put it. Sarcasm holds very low to me. I have been researching furnaces and chimneys for a long long time now on the web. I just had a question about the particular model I have of fireplace, since it appears to have a secondary path to the chimney, although I cannot see well enough to be sure. No point wasting good house air is there? I called the makers and evern they didn't know if I could close the damper! Hence my question on google.
Well, thanks all the same.
Dean
Aren't you worried about carbon monoxide?

On 2/18/2005 8:27 AM or thereabouts, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

I usually leave mine open all night and close it next morning. However....probably no harm in closing it if there are only a few coals left when you go to bed.
--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.