Are laser levels any good?

Page 2 of 2

No the wall can be flat but the distance the beam travels is different and if it is coming up at an angle the resulting line will curve ... try it.
This "curve" thing is why it is handy to have a camera tripod. You can get the laser up to the level you are shooting, even if you have to sit it on a table. The $20 one I have (Harbor Fright) is tapped for 1/4-20 to take the camera mount.
raymondj wrote:

I bought the $35 model from Sears. Great little tool that has helped me a lot while I redo my basement. It blasts a line on walls and floors and ceilings. Very much recommended for home-handyman work.
TheKidd
: raymondj wrote: : > I was looking for one but many seem to not be very accurate. : > : > I just want to hang shelves, tiles, etc. Does not need to be : > industrial grade but I do want accuracy. Any advice on what to buy? : : I bought the $35 model from Sears. Great little tool that has helped me a : lot while I redo my basement. : It blasts a line on walls and floors and ceilings. Very much recommended for : home-handyman work. : : TheKidd :
I'll second that.... Mine came in awfully handy when installing my kitchen cabinets. Actually picked it up after I had used a chalkline and string level to set the initial height. I was pleased to see that the laser level line was dead on the chalkline. I too used a camera tripod, and it took some finagling to get the line level and at the desired height. And make sure once you do, you don't bump the tripod ;-)....
Not only was it used to set the horizontal height, but shooting a vertical line made locating studs a breeze.
The laser level has two bubble levels and the base three adjustable legs. Others are correct in stating that the line is only as level as the unit is... And with the 'rose-colored' glasses, seeing the line in bright light is a snap.
Need a straight line across the ceiling, piece of cake...
Say what you will about Craftsman tools, I give this one 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Rick
raymondj wrote:

In addition to their intended uses, they are handy for driving a cat nuts trying to "catch" a spot you are moving around on the wall.
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

They make police officers do all sorts of maneuvers, too..................
Steve, who is running and ducking...................

yes
http://www.youcansave.com/laserlev.asp

Just get a long clear hose and fill it with water then close the ends with a bolt. Duct tape the end to where you want to chaulk your line.
I'm still trying to get this goddamned microchip out of my back that George Bush and the secret service stuck there in 1982.

Er, no. Do NOT close the ends or it won't work. The water will not be able to push through the air trapped in the hose.
Kapeesh?