Are laser levels any good?

I was looking for one but many seem to not be very accurate.

I just want to hang shelves, tiles, etc. Does not need to be industrial grade but I do want accuracy. Any advice on what to buy?

Reply to
raymondj

try a water level

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

According to raymondj :

Unless you have a blackhole or neutron star in your back pocket, you don't have to worry about a laser bending... The only thing you have to worry about is getting the thing level to begin with.

There are a lot of places that sell quite inexpensive laser levels that work just fine as long as you check that their bubble levels are reasonably accurate, or know how to compensate for it.

For example, the Lee Valley cheapie is rated at better than

1" in 100 feet, and they have an instruction manual that shows how to compensate for it.

Yes, water levels are cheaper. But they can be as inaccurate as that too.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

If you are just hanging shelves the $20 one will work fine. Just be sure you get the beam spreader. I have mine on a cheap camera tripod. When you set it up use a ruler to measure down from the ceiling to establish the right line. After all it is not as important that it "is" level than that it "looks" level. You will take your visual cue from the wall and ceiling and they might not be all that level ;-)

Reply to
Greg

poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (raymondj) wrote in news:5099d40b.0409210925.7b2df765 @posting.google.com:

A laser marks a straight line, but lasers have no way of knowing whether the path of their light is level. Levelling is done the old-fashioned way, with a bubble level. So it is no more accurate.

Reply to
RPG

Just be advised there are two kinds. One that throws a straight line, like an arrow, ending in a dot at the end. Very useful in some applications. There are "beam spreaders" that make the light like a sheet of light. Very useful for throwing a line all around a room on a horizontal plane, or on a vertical plane. Depends on what you are doing as to which one is best. I would imagine you can get a decent one for about $50, and that is a guess. Others will have to suggest brand names according to their experience.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

For what you want to do, they are just fine.

I bought a cheap one and all it does it put a spot on the wall across from the level. No all that useful. I bought the on advertised on TV for about $20. It shoots a line along the wall and even around a corner. That is the one you want for most work. You adhere it to the wall and use the line as a reference. You still have to set the level with a bubble, then the line is the reference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Bennett Price

One warning about the beam spreader. Make sure the laser is pretty close to the height of the line you are drawing on the wall. If it shoots up or down the line will curve.

Reply to
Greg

According to Greg :

If the wall is curved ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

It will shoot a curved line on a straight wall--if pointed upwards and straight at the middle of a wall, the line will be lower in the middle of a straight wall and curve up on either side where it's further away.

Ken

Reply to
Ken G.

According to Ken G. :

Oops, quite right. But if you're lucky, the wall will be curved enough to compensate ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

No the wall can be flat but the distance the beam travels is different and if it is coming up at an angle the resulting line will curve ... try it.

Reply to
Greg

This "curve" thing is why it is handy to have a camera tripod. You can get the laser up to the level you are shooting, even if you have to sit it on a table. The $20 one I have (Harbor Fright) is tapped for 1/4-20 to take the camera mount.

Reply to
Greg

Actually it doesn't even do a straight line, what with refraction. A quarter mile roadside bookcase will sag into the road if it follows a laser line.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

I bought the $35 model from Sears. Great little tool that has helped me a lot while I redo my basement. It blasts a line on walls and floors and ceilings. Very much recommended for home-handyman work.

TheKidd

Reply to
TheKidd

Huh?

I presume the only way that can happen is if the water isn't at the same temperature throughout the tubing. Like if one end is in shade and the other in sunlight long enough for the water to change temperature.

A quick look at a density/temperature chart for water shows that for say a 40 degree F temperature difference the density varies by about seven parts per thousand, so you'd have to have a "down and back up" between the ends of more than ten feet before you'd get an inch of error.

I suppose that IS a consideration regarding water levels I never stopped to think about before. I guess "water seeks its own level" isn't always a true statement. Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

In addition to their intended uses, they are handy for driving a cat nuts trying to "catch" a spot you are moving around on the wall.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

: > I just want to hang shelves, tiles, etc. Does not need to be : > industrial grade but I do want accuracy. Any advice on what to buy? : : I bought the $35 model from Sears. Great little tool that has helped me a : lot while I redo my basement. : It blasts a line on walls and floors and ceilings. Very much recommended for : home-handyman work. : : TheKidd :

I'll second that.... Mine came in awfully handy when installing my kitchen cabinets. Actually picked it up after I had used a chalkline and string level to set the initial height. I was pleased to see that the laser level line was dead on the chalkline. I too used a camera tripod, and it took some finagling to get the line level and at the desired height. And make sure once you do, you don't bump the tripod ;-)....

Not only was it used to set the horizontal height, but shooting a vertical line made locating studs a breeze.

The laser level has two bubble levels and the base three adjustable legs. Others are correct in stating that the line is only as level as the unit is... And with the 'rose-colored' glasses, seeing the line in bright light is a snap.

Need a straight line across the ceiling, piece of cake...

Say what you will about Craftsman tools, I give this one 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

They make police officers do all sorts of maneuvers, too..................

Steve, who is running and ducking...................

Reply to
SteveB