anyone with mold recurrence after remediation?

I am looking for anyone who has a personal experience-good, bad, or otherwise- with dealing with mold remediation. How was the house remediated? How extensive was the mold? What kind was it? How long has it been, and has it returned? Looking at buying a house that has mold, water problem solved, and remediator says gutting and restoration of affected area (lower level of a trilevel house) and removal of carpeting in upper levels, along with complete cleansing and fungicide of walls and surfaces in the whole house etc will remove the mold and prevent its recurrence IF the water problem does not continue or recur. Anyone care to comment on your experience with this?? We ae trying to decide if this is worth tackling. We love the house, and can get it from the bank and repair it for at least $60,000 less than the other houses in the neighborhood. Thanks for any comments!
you will actually not be happy with a home with your mold fears, mostly because you asked, and you are also describing a major contamination. here in buffalo ny mold is tracked in daily by the kids and dogs from the dirt in your backyard, and is growth activated by moisture wherever it sits. you might have your own present basement mold tested. health of you and your family may not be immediately affected by the mold, but the stress it induces will directly have an unhealthy effect. my neighbor in his single family home had a basement condensation on a water line. his extended coverage policy of his insurance company satisfied a $3000 claim for the mold remediation in the basement. they liked it. see: http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm see: http://www.cdc.gov/mold /
dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

I am not trying to be paranoid, only realistic. I understand mold spores are everywhere, inside and outside, and that they become a problem when allowed to grow in a suitable (moist) environment. We plan to take all necessary precautions to avoid any potential for flooding/water damage, installation of dehumidifier, obtaining HEPA filters for the furnace, and HEPA aircleaners to remove circulating spores. We will have the ducts cleaned and furnace/AC checked thoroughly as well. With all the above, chance of recurrence SHOULD be fairly low, right??? That's all we want to know. Has anyone taken precautions like this and STILL had a problem??
buffalobill wrote:

replying to dancer1 via HomeKB.com, Borderbec wrote: I am in the same boat as you. There is extensive mold in a house we love and its a short sale. What did you decide to do? Did the bank pay for the mold remediation and fixing the dry wall they gutted out and lower the asking price? How much did it all end up costing? This thread was helpful for me.
Thanks!
Rebecca

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

It all depends on how well they do their job. Done right it will be as good as new. If the same things happen, you will have mold again. Actually you will always have mold, it is only a matter of the amount. The original cause needs to be addressed, all damaged materials removed and replaced and cleaning and killing of existing molds done.
When making your decision consider this. In many areas you will be required to disclose the prior mold problem to perspective buyers and that could easily make it far more difficult to sell and reduce it's value.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Although you have to disclose it- if you have a warranty of coverage for 25 years for total remediation should it reoccur. Ask around and see if any remediators give you a warranty. Mold Shield products carry 25 year mold remediation warranty that is transferable with the home. Mold Prevention is the latest technolgy on the market and Mold Remediators do not like this. They have not been nor will they be regulated and can charge whatever they want- and not warranty the work. The response mold will always been there is a scare tactic. Yes spores maybe there- but water and moisture along with a food source. Take one away and no mold.
Bill Hawke Mold Shield
Joseph Meehan wrote:

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

I'm not sure where you are located but if you are certain that the water issue has been resolved, I would highly recommend contacting a rep. from Medallion Healthy Homes. I'm in the Toronto Canada area and there are several dealers here and a quick google found several of them in various other provinces and US States. I had this Ozone "shock" treatment done on my home after a mold issue and haven't had any mold issues since (3+ years). You'll have to evacuate for about 6 hours and remove anything living (that you want to keep) like pets and plants etc. The cost was in the neighbourhood of $400CDN. Your first impression when you return indoors will be better than walking outdoors after a thunderstorm when the air is extremely pure. If the home had been smoked in, that odour will be completely gone as well.
Good luck,
Gary
We have not yet purchased the house, it is a repo (bank owned) with current mold. We are debating if full PROFESSIONAL remediation (extesive gutting and restoration, basically) will solve the problem. If we can get the bank to lower the asking price, plus the $28,000-30,000 (one estimate so far) we can still have a house with almost $60,000.00 in equity at closing! Our only concern is if the mold can return in the future, or continue to cause health problems after its removed. At least we don't have the headache of having to remove all our posessions first! How extensive was your mold problem? In a basement, attic etc? let me know. Thats for your response!
gerdman wrote:

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

My mold problem was originally from the basement. A leaking kitchen waste pipe was cracked and the moisture provided a healthy envirornment for mold to thrive upon in the studs and walls downstairs. Fortunately, there was very little drywall to deal with and a quick blast of chlorine solution killed what was visible and the ozone did the rest. Unless you're in New Orleans it would be worthwhile to consult with Medallion for an assesment of the mold contamination and potential for remediation. I strongly suggest that you don't do this yourself, mold is very toxic and if you have more than about 3 square feet of contaminated area the risk to yourself and family is tremendous! The spores will be everywhere, including the attic, the source is what you must remove and eliminate.... Ozone will kill the rest permanently.
Gary
I have already contacted a mold professional, NO WAY would I do this myself :) since our water issue was the lower level, not running downward, that is where majority of the extesive removal will take place, with thorough cleansing/fungicide and repaint of upper floors and removal of ALL carpet in the house (which we would have done otherwise-it's worn and UGLY!) Thanks for your advice!
gerdman wrote:

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

surfaces. Lok up Protective Coatings Group based in Florida. They have mold removal and mold prevention products.
Bill

I own Mold Shield in Cincinnati Ohio. We carry products for mold remediation and also modl prevention. Thats the main focus of the business. Prevent it before it grows.
You can get products to do it yourself through Protective Coatings Group. they are the best on market. Also carry a 25 year warranty on them.