Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Page 16 of 16

Your Easy-Bake Oven will never work again, either.
The lighting load is argued about 5% of the overal system load and redcuing that by 50-75% doesn't make that much difference. But it's a start.
Where are everybody's solar PV and thermal panels? I have mine.
Here's what I meant to write in my earlier message but forgot to.
In *theory*, everything you say is true. In practice, I doubt it.
Think about it. Let's say I, and my neighbors, and a good chunk of the electric customers hereabouts reduce their usage by installing CFLs. So far as our *lighting* usage goes, we're using 70-75% less juice (to use your figure). But that doesn't mean that we're reducing our *total* usage by that much: me, I've got an electric water heater and an electric dryer, so what they suck up pretty much swamps any savings I get from CFLs. But no matter; let's say for the sake of discussion that I (we) have significantly reduced our electricity usage.
That doesn't *necessarily* translate to the same amount of reduction in electric power plant generation. Think about it: it's not as if there are giant rheostats on coal-fired generators that the electric company can use to calibrate their generating capacity to meet the load. They can basically take a generating unit off-line or put it on-line. So even though we use CFLs like the good citizens we are, that still doesn't mean that we're reducing the amount of coal being shoveled in the front end by the same amount (and reducing mercury emissions as well).

Make that 9%, and that includes in regions of USA with much-below-nationwide-average electricity cost due to making significant use of largely-non-increasable hydropower.
USA electricity *cost* and energy consumption excluding hydropower from lighting alone is even more than 9%, due to electric heating being disproportionately where it costs less per KWH.

Does replacing incandescents with CFLs require people to replace non-electric water heaters and dryers with electric ones?

They can crank down some of their on-line generating units. Although in within-day time scale that tends to be in oil-fueled generators, they crank up and down or make usage intermittent for coal above nuclear and hydropower.

Due greatly to electricity demand growth unrelated to choice of lighting technology, such as population growth, and increased usage of larger-screen-area TVs and increased usage of computers.
<SNIP a few unrelated lines following this point>
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

That is not at all what the gentleman is saying. CFLs use less electricity than incandescant bulbs. The rest should be obvious.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass