Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

Page 4 of 4

Paul Oman posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Square Peg wrote:

Green LockTite. It is permanent (like the red) but it also is penetrating. So you can use apply it after assembling -- probably with a toothpick in this case.
Bob

That's 2 recommendations for green and one for blue. The Loctite site has this information about the three colors of "threadlockers": green, red, and blue:
Green: For smaller fasteners. Doesn't say anything about being penetrating or permanent. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid &subidH&plidi5
Red: For larger fasteners. Seems to be more permanent. Requires heat and hand tools to remove. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid &subidH&plid4
Blue: For medium-size fasteners. Appears to be less permanent. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid &subidH&plid3
None of them say anything about being penetrating.
The green seems harder to find. So far, one hardware store and one auto-supply store had only the red and the blue. I finally found it at a Napa store, but it's 10 miles away.
So, I went to Amazon. They have all three and better descriptions:
Green: (Amazon.com product link shortened)19871986&sr=8-1
Loctite 290 Green threadlocker is a low viscosity threadlocking liquid that wicks along the threadsof pre-assembled fasteners to secure them in place. Since it is applied after assembly preventive maintenance procedures are simplified. Ideal for fasteners ranging from #2 to 1/2" (2.2 to 12mm) in size. Localized heating and hand tools needed for disassembly. Suggested applications: Bolts on alternators air conditioning belts and distributor clamps carburetor adjustment screws and hairline cracks.
It's bit unsettling that the photo is of a *red* package ;-)
Red: (Amazon.com product link shortened)19872297&sr=8-1
Loctite 272 Red withstands temperatures to 450 Degrees F. This high-temp/High-strength threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty applications. Prevents bolts up to 1-1/2" (36mm) from loosening due to shock severe vibration and heatstress. An exclusive formulation for newer engines and high performance applications where extreme temperature resistance is required. removable with heat and hand tools. Suggested applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts crankshaft bolts idler bearings press fit filler tubes transmission input and output shaft threads ring gear and shock bolts.
Blue: (Amazon.com product link shortened)19872406&sr=8-1
Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 locks threaded metal fasteners against loosening from machine vibration. It prevents leaks and rusting of metal threads for 1/4- to 3/4-inch (6 mm to 20 mm) nuts and bolts. Metal parts can be removed with hand tools for easy disassembly if necessary. Sets in 20 minutes and cures in 24 hours. Especially useful for small motors, mowers and many types of power equipment.
It looks like green is the one for this job. Thanks.

<<<<That's 2 recommendations for green and one for blue. The Loctite site has this information about the three colors of "threadlockers": green, red, and blue:

OK so change mine to the green. The blue should still work though, just may need to loosen the screw a bit, apply the blue locktite, then tighten. (this has been an interesting thread,,,,,,) Tony
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:17:53 -0700, "Anthony Diodati" <mrbreezeet1NO

I've ordered the green from Amazon. I just arrived at the office to find another pair of glasses with loose hinges. When it arrives, I'll give it a test.

GROAN
[snip over-long descriptions of differences between various Loctite products]
Good Lord, man! IT DOESN'T MATTER. It's a teeny, tiny screw. ANY OF THE THREE will work just fine.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:08:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Good Lord, man! IF THIS ANNOYS YOU, DON'T READ IT. This particular project doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But I have LEARNED A LOT ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LOCTITE PRODUCT, which may be useful on other projects. Does your usenet reader allow you to ignore threads?

I liked the thread too....... Tony

Take them where you bought them. They may prefer some way, i.e. Loctite, SuperGlue, clear nail polish. There may be some reason that one of the things suggested here might not work well, like discoloring the metal, eating up any plastic it touches, etc. Something that one would not normally think of, but in this application would be critical or detrimental enough not to be a consideration. If it were just a nut and bolt, there could be lots of suggestions that would probably work. Since this is a tiny item, with unknown coatings, and unknown properties, if it were me, I'd take it to where I bought it. They may even have a tube of GlassGoo or something that is made specifically for that.
BTW, I have three pairs of titanium glasses, and there's nothing better. But I do have to watch those little screws.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

They look like the three pair I have. If his source was like mine, a drugstore, the staff likely won't be of much help. Green Loctite did the job for me. Just a tiny bit applied with a broomstraw to the threads emerging from the nuts. Don't overdo it.

You think I'll get more than a blank stare at Long's Drug Store?