Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

If you could center punch a screw that small, you could circumcise a gnat!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I plan to try Loctite first. If that fails, the center punch. If that works, I'll go look for a gnat. You want to help hold 'im still?

Reply to
Square Peg

You think I'll get more than a blank stare at Long's Drug Store?

Reply to
Square Peg

GROAN

Reply to
PanHandler

In article , Square Peg wrote: [snip over-long descriptions of differences between various Loctite products]

Good Lord, man! IT DOESN'T MATTER. It's a teeny, tiny screw. ANY OF THE THREE will work just fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good Lord, man! IF THIS ANNOYS YOU, DON'T READ IT. This particular project doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But I have LEARNED A LOT ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LOCTITE PRODUCT, which may be useful on other projects. Does your usenet reader allow you to ignore threads?

Reply to
Square Peg

I liked the thread too....... Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Paul Oman posted for all of us...

On the lenses?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Those are all the mid sized tools. I have that size, bigger and smaller. The small pocket sized punch is probably more what you would use on tiny screws. I just used mine on some #4 machine screws to stake them.

You can grind or file the point to make it sharper for fine work. I use my punches as screw starters in wood too. When I hang a shelf or piece of equipment on a backboard and want it to be straight and level, I mark the mounting points then use the punch to make a hole in the center of my pencil mark so the screw doesn't wander off to points unknown.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Try loctite--will secure it and easy to break the bond if you want to remove the screw. MLD

MLD

It looks like this is working. The little nuts usually take a few months to work loose after I hand tightened them with needlenose pliers, so we'll see. But at least I didn't glue my fingers to the glasses or to each other like I always do with super glue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Square Peg

I just got the GT-ACP you suggested. Cool little tool. I never knew it existed. Thanks for the tip. It will come in handy. (You can never have too many tools.)

However, when I tried it on the glasses, I couldn't keep it on thje end of the little bolt. It looks like it has a rounded end. I almost punched a hole in the glasses. Maybe someone with better coordination and better eyesight could make it work.

I think the Loctite will do the job, but I am very glad to have this little tools.

Thanks

Reply to
Square Peg