Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

I keep the small one in my work shirt pocket next to the little screwdrivers, markers, thermometer, ball point pen, etc. I had a service call at The U.S. Attorney's office in downtown a while back and had to explain to the security guards that I had all manner of sharp metallic objects on my person and in my tool case. It was no problem because I was there to make legal use of all my sharp implements, including my rather small brain. *snicker*

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

If you open up a piece of cheap consumer electronic gear like a battery operated AM/FM radio you will often see a red varnish painted on all of the tiny screws and nuts that hold things together.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Your brain is small, but very sharp?

Are you allowed on airplanes with it, or do they make you check it? That would actually be an advantage as you would not be nearly as likely to be annoyed by being charged for a pillow or a trip to the can.

Reply to
Square Peg

I you plan on the above then you want to use a wicking Loctite. It uses capillary action to enter the joint.

tnom

Not to mention mechanics and handymen (I have to admit to having super glued my knuckles back together a few times.) A lot handier than a band-aid, and impervious to gear oil as well.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Green LockTite. It is permanent (like the red) but it also is penetrating. So you can use apply it after assembling -- probably with a toothpick in this case.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Only on certain plastics however. There are LOTS of plastics that won't work on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Lots being less than 5%.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

AZ Nomad wrote: ...

Think you left the trailing zero off that estimate... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

That's 2 recommendations for green and one for blue. The Loctite site has this information about the three colors of "threadlockers": green, red, and blue:

Green: For smaller fasteners. Doesn't say anything about being penetrating or permanent.

Red: For larger fasteners. Seems to be more permanent. Requires heat and hand tools to remove.
Blue: For medium-size fasteners. Appears to be less permanent.
None of them say anything about being penetrating.

The green seems harder to find. So far, one hardware store and one auto-supply store had only the red and the blue. I finally found it at a Napa store, but it's 10 miles away.

So, I went to Amazon. They have all three and better descriptions:

Green:

Loctite 290 Green threadlocker is a low viscosity threadlocking liquid that wicks along the threadsof pre-assembled fasteners to secure them in place. Since it is applied after assembly preventive maintenance procedures are simplified. Ideal for fasteners ranging from #2 to 1/2" (2.2 to 12mm) in size. Localized heating and hand tools needed for disassembly. Suggested applications: Bolts on alternators air conditioning belts and distributor clamps carburetor adjustment screws and hairline cracks.

It's bit unsettling that the photo is of a *red* package ;-)

Red:

Loctite 272 Red withstands temperatures to 450 Degrees F. This high-temp/High-strength threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty applications. Prevents bolts up to 1-1/2" (36mm) from loosening due to shock severe vibration and heatstress. An exclusive formulation for newer engines and high performance applications where extreme temperature resistance is required. removable with heat and hand tools. Suggested applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts crankshaft bolts idler bearings press fit filler tubes transmission input and output shaft threads ring gear and shock bolts.

Blue:

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 locks threaded metal fasteners against loosening from machine vibration. It prevents leaks and rusting of metal threads for 1/4- to 3/4-inch (6 mm to 20 mm) nuts and bolts. Metal parts can be removed with hand tools for easy disassembly if necessary. Sets in 20 minutes and cures in 24 hours. Especially useful for small motors, mowers and many types of power equipment.

It looks like green is the one for this job. Thanks.

Reply to
Square Peg

Thanks. The green is hard to find at hardware stores and not even all auto supply stores have it. Amazon to the rescue.

Reply to
Square Peg

Amazon has several others:

Are they all pretty much the same?

Do I need a small one and a larger one? As long as I am justifying tools to the bean counter...

Reply to
Square Peg

just use a dab of clear nail polish.... paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Yeah. And watch that plastic lense disolve.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Green Loctite will "wick" into the threads then cure.

Reply to
Al

They don't search invited contractors? Neat. I wondered, I can just imagine myself getting a call to govt office, and having to explain that I can't do the job bare handed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Square Peg

Anthony Diodati

They look like the three pair I have. If his source was like mine, a drugstore, the staff likely won't be of much help. Green Loctite did the job for me. Just a tiny bit applied with a broomstraw to the threads emerging from the nuts. Don't overdo it.

Reply to
Leroy

Take them where you bought them. They may prefer some way, i.e. Loctite, SuperGlue, clear nail polish. There may be some reason that one of the things suggested here might not work well, like discoloring the metal, eating up any plastic it touches, etc. Something that one would not normally think of, but in this application would be critical or detrimental enough not to be a consideration. If it were just a nut and bolt, there could be lots of suggestions that would probably work. Since this is a tiny item, with unknown coatings, and unknown properties, if it were me, I'd take it to where I bought it. They may even have a tube of GlassGoo or something that is made specifically for that.

BTW, I have three pairs of titanium glasses, and there's nothing better. But I do have to watch those little screws.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB