Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

Page 3 of 4

Try loctite--will secure it and easy to break the bond if you want to remove the screw. MLD

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:18:49 -0500, Uncle Monster

I just got the GT-ACP you suggested. Cool little tool. I never knew it existed. Thanks for the tip. It will come in handy. (You can never have too many tools.)
However, when I tried it on the glasses, I couldn't keep it on thje end of the little bolt. It looks like it has a rounded end. I almost punched a hole in the glasses. Maybe someone with better coordination and better eyesight could make it work.
I think the Loctite will do the job, but I am very glad to have this little tools.
Thanks

A little bit of paint on the threads should do it - primer even better.
Nail polish before assembly
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:55:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Does that work? Because it's just sticky enough?

It works, but not nearly as well as Loctite, which was specifically designed for exactly the purpose you want: to prevent screws from working loose. Nail polish dries hard and brittle, and will eventually crack and fall away, allowing the screws to loosen. Loctite will remain slightly flexible for years. It's five bucks at an auto parts store. One drop per screw is all you need.
--
Regards,

Yes it works like just like small screw Loctite except you don't have to run to the hardware store and spend any money It is best to clean and dry the screw and nut with alcohol before assembly.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:34:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Hold on there, pardner. It ain't a DIY project without at least two (2) trips to the hardware store. ;-)

Heck, I was just gonna squirt the Loctite right in there without even taking the nut off. (Unless the instructions say otherwise and my wife is helping/watching.) I always drop those little buggers on the carpet or lawn and can never find them.

I you plan on the above then you want to use a wicking Loctite. It uses capillary action to enter the joint.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:10:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Thanks. The green is hard to find at hardware stores and not even all auto supply stores have it. Amazon to the rescue.
Square Peg wrote:

If you open up a piece of cheap consumer electronic gear like a battery operated AM/FM radio you will often see a red varnish painted on all of the tiny screws and nuts that hold things together.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

Loctite will usually hold a screw.

Loctite brand thread locker, available at any auto parts store.
--
Regards,
On my eye glasses, I pulled the screws out, and dabbed clear nail polish into the hole. Right before bed, so I wouldn't have nail polish vapor near my eyes. So far, they havn't loosened up. I can't remember how long ago was that. But it was some time after the Truman administration. Might have been after Clinton adminstration, too.
Square Peg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:53:54 -0700, Bennett Price

Plastic wrap is a good idea. I plan to use just a tiny drop on a toothpick or something and not get any on the lenses, but I never plan to super-glue my fingers together, either.

getting any kind of adhesive on the lens would be bad.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:27:31 -0500, AZ Nomad

ya think?
Square Peg wrote:

just use a dab of clear nail polish.... paul

Yeah. And watch that plastic lense disolve.