Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

Page 1 of 4

I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there is.
http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8
There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.
The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably because they get wiggled more.
I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.
Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament, so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will never want to loosen these nuts.

go to your FLAPS and ask them which Loctite product they would recommend.
nate

FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store?
Better than a hardware store?
Square Peg wrote:

Loctite? I understand they make several different flavors- the stuff for an engine block probably isn't a good idea. As to where to buy it, maybe a hobby shop where they sell RC cars and planes and stuff? They use lots of itty-bitty bolts.
-- aem sends...

Green Loctite will "wick" into the threads then cure.

It looks like this is working. The little nuts usually take a few months to work loose after I hand tightened them with needlenose pliers, so we'll see. But at least I didn't glue my fingers to the glasses or to each other like I always do with super glue.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Square Peg wrote:

Go back to your eye doctor. They'll tighten up the frames, then use a special pair of pliers to squeeze the screw. The pliers have a cone-shaped protrusion on one jaw that spreads the end of the screw.
You'll get a free cleaning and adjustment, if your doctor is any good. :)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

These are $20 reading glasses from the drug store.
Maybe I need a pair of those pliers. Do you know what they are called. A search for "optical pliers" turned up a lot of choices, but not what you describe.
Square Peg wrote:

In that case, I would get thee to thy workshop and judiciously apply a center punch.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Now that's an idea. I guess it didn't occur to me because "glasses" and "hammer" don't immediately go together in my mind. ;-)
It is a bit of a funny image. There is this old guy with faltering vision and shakey hands trying to fix his reading glasses by aiming a center punch at the end of a tiny bolt attached to said reading glasses with a hammer in the other hand... Visions of glass shards. Fortunately, the "glasses: are plastic.
Maybe I'll try the loctite first. ;-)

If you could center punch a screw that small, you could circumcise a gnat!
Steve

I plan to try Loctite first. If that fails, the center punch. If that works, I'll go look for a gnat. You want to help hold 'im still?
Square Peg wrote:

Find someone with a soldering iron and have them solder it, it last forever. Take a small piece of wire that isn't quite big enough for the hole where the screw goes, put it in there and drip solder into the hole. Radio Shack has a low wattage soldering iron that would probably work, but, I bought a 100 watt SI at Hobby Lobby for around $10.00, it's the Hobby Lobby brand, it has enough heat to solder anything.
My old glasses for work are almost totally held together by solder.
Dan

use locktight.
The only thing superglue works on is human skin.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:31:56 -0500, AZ Nomad

Funny. It sure does work on skin. I actually think it has some sort of magnetic attraction and can jump several inches to reach the skin. ;-)

That is why it is used as a surgical glue for doctors and veterinarians.

Not to mention mechanics and handymen (I have to admit to having super glued my knuckles back together a few times.) A lot handier than a band-aid, and impervious to gear oil as well.
nate
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:31:56 -0500, AZ Nomad
[snip]

It works better on plastic. It'll come off the skin in a couple of days (with a layer or 2 of skin).
Don't glue your eyelids together :-)

On plastic, it'll come apart when the object is bumped. It's really brittle.
Acetone works a lot better for bonding plastic. It temporarily melts the plastic and when it dries, you're left with a monolythic plastic structure.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Only on certain plastics however. There are LOTS of plastics that won't work on.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)