Anti-Scalding device question

I have heard of an anti-scalding device that can just screw into a kitchen faucet. If this device exist, I could use it. Does anyone know of a web source where I could perhaps find one?
Thanks,
John
why not turn down your water heater
Sorry I don't know where you may find one, but I have also heard of one. I wonder how effective it may be.
Have you considered just turning down the water heater temperature?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Here in Canada they're being advertised at Canadian Tire, our biggest hardware superstore chain, so I presume they are available at similar stores in the U.S. as well. Don't know how well they work.
Dave Gower wrote:

I put an "antiscald" gadget on my shower so I would not get scalded if my wife flushed the toilet while I was in the shower. I took it out because it was less trouble to get out of the way while the cold water pressure was low while the toilet tank refilled. What I used was similar to this one on the Ace Hardware web site:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 74640&cp=&searchIdR98399880&keywords=scald&y=7&x$&parentPage=search
They seem to have others for baths, but I did not see one for kitchen faucets.

I see someone has already suggested turning down the water heater. For what purpose do you need to maintain water that is hot enough to scald? You mention a kitchen faucet, which suggests either dish- or handwashing to me. Of course it's nice to have a near-boiling water spigot for coffee and instant soup, but those are usually add-ons, not OE.

For those two things, I would get one of the additional flash type hot water spigots that are designed to dispense near-boiling hot water. I wouldn't be heating all of my water to the higher temp just for the occasional cup of soup. Or even the very frequent cup of coffee...

The traditional reason to have 140 degree water was for more effective clothes and dish washing. Temperature makes a big difference in both cases.
However modern dishwashers mostly come with built in water heaters with thermostats that wait until the water reaches 150 degrees. This is even better for sanitary constraints than leaving the water heater on 140. If you have such a dishwasher then you're best off lowering the hot water heater at least somewhat, if not to 120. You'll reduce your hot water heating bill too.
As far as clothes washing I guess people just decided it wasn't worth the physical risk for whiter whites.
You don't need 140 degree water to have hot showers. At that temperature you'll be mixing in plenty of cold water just to avoid leaving the shower with first degree burns. I like hot showers myself and wouldn't be surprised if 120 were too low, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure 140 isn't necessary for anyone's shower tastes.
PS: My hot water heater is at 140, but then my dishwasher doesn't heat to 150 so that's my excuse.
--
greg

Actually, my water comes out at 138F. Which is exactly the perfect temp to run all of my plumbing needs with the number of people in the house. I do not consider anything a real scalding risk until it gets a little higher in temp. I just wanted something that would keep the water at 120F or so, at just that ONE place.
Personally, I do not like setting the water heater down on 120F. I bought the house, I bought the heater, and damn it, I'm going to take my hot showers...
John
wrote

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:53:27 -0700, "John E. Jones"

I can sympathize with *that*. :-)
However, after I posted, I looked up some references to "scalding." It seemed highly unlikely (to me) that one could be scalded by water at 120F, which is summer air temperature in some dismal locations. However, evidently this *is* possible with skin exposure over several minutes. A shorter time at 140F. Tapwater scalding is primarily a hazard for young children/babies and the elderly.
As to the original question, searching on
scald temperature
turned up a number of references to plumbing gadgets/valves suitable for your purpose. Just don't fall asleep in the shower. :-)

clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com!news-server.columbus.rr.com!odin.oar.net!malgudi.oar.net!news.cis.ohio-state.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!border3.nntp.aus1.giganews.com!intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
sv3-4zFwDY+Cp7X2/Wbm8C/Cnof67dOQHVtgBfyVHhVp1Y63FijuHRhjOFueC3Ys7fNffTi2osFB8eKYhoJ!ZTey678zZLpdR8t/2RuG2hyLQRxeLGlsSnQRrh4pvVJ/h+abU/77ZAn3Pys=
http://www.antiscald.com / http://www.powerscontrols.com /
John E. Jones writes:

I have Power Hydroguard tempering devices installed. These are very costly fixtures built into the plumbing. I suspect the cheap units don't work well.
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:51:27 -0600, Richard J Kinch

I'm not sure of this, but I _think_ anti-scald is now part of the plumbing code. I know Delta, Moen, Kohler fixtures all come with it. I think they also limit flow.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Phoo! Doesn't *everything* these days? My replacement shower head delivers a spray of ant-spit proportions. Fortunately, the toilet is old-fashioned.
(with possible editing):

I agree. Fortunately, we're close to Canada. They haven't adopted those stupid standards...
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com