Another Way To Handle Tree Stumps?

Page 2 of 2
How about a planter?

i cut mine low and built planters over them.
randy

Contact paper?
Just start a compost pile over it if it is small enough and in a good location. After a few years you will have great compost and no more stump.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote in message

I used the planter method. Cut a few inches below ground level a stump about 4ft across at that point. I drilled many holes then made a flower bed over it. ca 10 years later, the stump is still there but is beginning to come up in rotten pieces when I dug it up this spring. I will probably let it go back to lawn next year.
The best way to get them below ground is to just rent a stump grinder. Beats all the other suggestions for actually getting rid of them.
Harry K
The BEST way to get rid of them is to hire a High School boy (preferably a football player) to dig the damn thing out. Shovel, hatchet and a kid with so much testosterone he can't see straight. Pay him $100. Works like a charm.
Harry K wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:03:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.net (BroJack) wrote:

Move. I got rid of moles that way.
--

- Charles
-
(BroJack) wrote:

I just move enough dirt around them so I can get enough room to cut them off flush with the ground with a chainsaw and then ignore them. We mow right over them.
On 9 Jun 2004 07:26:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tim) wrote:

You better watch it.
You'll have the animal rights people after you.
BroJack
BroJack wrote:

I've read in many places across the internet that powdered milk will greatly accelerate the rotting.
I drilled 1/4" holes all over mine and then wet it down. Then sprinkled it liberally with powdered milk.
I don't know if it really did anything, but it did rot pretty quick.
See here:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsletters/newsarticles/twigs/stumps.html
and here:
http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/homes/article/0,19846,593839,00.htm l

I strongly suspect that drilling 1/4" holes all over it and putting *anything*,
or even nothing, in them would greatly accellerate rotting.
"and putting *anything*" Yeah, but I can think of no better use for powdered milk... YUCK
snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu wrote:

I would imagine that renting one of those plus the generator and compressor it would need would be way more than the $100 or so to rent the proper tool - a stump grinder. Just my .02