Another Way To Handle Tree Stumps?

Page 1 of 2
Pneumatic drill?
Jack
Sure, but why?
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:16:19 -0400, "Mike LaMana"

Mowing around stumpers adds an extra hour to the mowing chore.
Jack ______________

said...

What do you mow with? Fingernail clippers?

Cub Cadet.
Jack
Why not blast them out?
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Caterpillar D11R.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
snipped-for-privacy@home.net (BroJack) wrote:

Wouldn't do any different than an electric drill. Except maybe work under water.
How about the classic Skill saw, with a cheap carbide tipped blade? That will cut thru most anything, with the right blade. A low tooth count, if you have a choice.
Otherwise, as Jimmie Walker used to say (not in this context) Dyno-Mite!!

A neighbor drilled a dozen or so holes in the sides of an empty coffee can, ran it through the can opener again to remove the bottom and set the empty cylinder on the stump. He filled it with charcoal briquettes, added some charcoal lighter, and fired it up.
The incredibly hot fire burned right down through the middle of the stump; hardly any flame but a lot of wonderful smelling smoke. He hosed down the area around the stump a couple of times a day to insure that the fire didn't spread. By the time it burned itself out there was little left but the outer bark. Once it cooled it only took a few licks with an axe to knock what was left into the hole in the center. A couple of shovelfulls of dirt on top and the stump magically disappeared.
John

I'm talking about a jackhammer that they use to tear up streets.
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@home.net said...

Trackhoe

My old man's method. Enough dynamite to render it into splinters. No kidding. When he blew a stump there was nothing left to pick up.
Harry K
Leave them tall enough to install a nice top and use as a picnic table.

I cut down an oak tree early this year. Later, I cut off the stump close to the ground using a bow saw (I don't have a chain saw) such that I can mow over the stump without the blade hitting it. I plan to let the stump be as it is and eventually rot on its own. It might take awhile, since white oak is rot resistant.
- Phisherman -

- Nehmo - If a chain saw hits the dirt, the blade dulls immediately. A chain saw with a regular chain can't be used to remove stumps.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Immediately? I hit the dirt with mine once in a while and I get a ton of mileage out of it before it needs sharpening.

Likewise. I have (and continue) to cut stumps at ground level with a chainsaw. That almost always results in cutting dirt at some point. Yes, I have to sharpen it after doing so but it hardly dulls "immediately".
Harry K
-Brad -

- Harry K -

- Nehmo - I would ignore this issue and go about what I need to do today, but this is an important issue for safety and for the maintenance of the tool. Of all the power tools commonly available, the chainsaw should be given the utmost respect.
A chainsaw is not supposed to be used in a position where it may touch the ground. If you have been using the tool that way, you have been abusing it.
Chainsaw Main http://www.farminfo.org/equipment/chainsaw-m.htm "If you accidentally allow the chainsaw to touch the ground while it is still running, stop what you are doing and resharpen the chain. It will be instantly blunt. "
Chain saw safety http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/chainsawcontent3.htm "The chain saw should also never be allowed to touch the ground".
Getting in the Wood http://my.execpc.com/~bosshard/rural/gettinwood.html "Don't ever let the chain touch the ground while you're cutting."
All you can do with a chainsaw is cut the stump close to the ground. Nothing beyond that should be attempted.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

This is obviously a completely worthless source of information.

I'm not arguing the safety issues at all. I've cut down and sliced up 100s of trees. I recently nicked myself in the knee with a running saw (cutting a limb too far overhead) so I have utmost respect for what they can do, along with a nice souvenir scar.
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

Sure it can. It just ruins the chain saw. That's why I recommended using someone else's.. The real problem is that it's freaking dangerous, as you're in an awkward position with the tip buried in the ground where you can't see it, and that just invites kickback and other excitement.
--Goedjn