Another heat pump icing up question

Hi folks,
I have a four year old York heat pump (E2FH model). Defrost mode seems to work normally, except there remains a three inch high layer of ice near the bottom of the compressor.
On other words, when the temps are cool enough, my compressor has a permanent strip of frost around the bottom of the fins.
This has occurred since new - is it normal?
Thanks, Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:48:46 GMT, G Mulcaster

A heat pumps normal operation or proper efficiency is not determined by how much or how many rings of frost are on it. It is accomplished by checking the proper performance of it. This is accomplished by several methods including checking the refrigerant charge, temp rise, airflow etc. Your 4 year old unit should still have 1 yr left on its parts warranty. Id suggest getting it checked and serviced and that should give you your answer. Note: The compressor is the black thing down in the middle of your outdoor unit. The ice you are seeing is most likely on the condenser coil and it is most likely Frost, not ice. Bubba

Thanks Bubba,
The buildup in that area of the coil gets to about 1" deep. The the rest of the coil clears off during defrost with no problem. Time to call for service.
I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty :)
Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

This is Turtle.
That ice build up at the bottom just does not sound good and getting it checked up is a good ideal.
TURTLE

Regards, Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.