Another Brass Question

My newly ordered cabinets will have brass colored knobs on them. I am in FL and everything eventually starts rusting....how do I protect the brass from rust? Is there something I can do or avoid doing so they will stay bright? All the hardware on the doors around the house has started looking rusty and I have to clean them with Brillo pads about once a month. Could I have prevented this with something?
Thanks.
Dorothy
Dorot29701 wrote:

if its real brass then its not gonna rust. only steel will rust and the brass plated or brass colored finish to the cheap hardware... but brass will tarnish... dont use brillo pads on them if real brass just use some BRASSO cleaner( can get it at Ace Hardware Stores) and tben coat the real brass with a clear sealer like clear lacquor. comes in spray can.. take off the hardware and polish it down and coat it and after dry put it back up.. hope this helps.....

Decent quality cabinets should come with the knobs already protected with a coat of lacquer or other transparent protective finish!
The door hardware and locks that the builder used when they built our house are Schlage and they have a life time guarantee, when ours started to show signs of tarnishing a telephone call to Schlage resulted in them sending us replacements for all of our exterior door hardware!

FL
from
bright?
It depends what the knobs are made of. If of brasss, be sure they are "anodized," (same as military uniform buttons). These can be cleaned with a duster and you should not use metal polish. Avoid lacquered brass handles because the finish wears off fast with normal use. Lacquered brass is OK on parts nobody touches. -- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) dphillipson[at]trytel.com

Well, I know for sure you can't "anodize" brass, but am not sure about brasss. What is that? (missed out on being in the military)
Could you possibly be thinking about anodized aluminum with brass colored dye?!
As you say, they are brass colored, so we really don't know what they are. In any case, keep the steel wool away from them. If they rust, get some solid brass ones.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On 31 Aug 2003 21:56:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dorot29701) wrote: