Annoying Septic Tank Riser

Evening Septic Experts!

It=92s the perfect late summer evening, and I am sitting out on my deck looking at my beautiful yard=85all except the for the septic tank riser that is sticking out 24 inches about the ground! It looks like a fricking missile silo!

We just got done with a house remodel where we added a few rooms and had to get the septic system / field enlarged. We had to move the field and it was a tad above the elevation of the tanks, so they did a L(ow) P(ressure) D(istrubution) system.

The septic tank riser is on the second tank that gets pumped out to the field, and in addition to what is some PVC plumbing inside of the riser running down into the tank, there is also a electrical box mounted on the side of the riser.

So I can=92t stand looking at the thing, and it=92s smack dab in the middle of my kids football field.

What are my options for reconfiguring (electrical? plumbing in the riser?) so I can put this stuff below / in the ground?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Shaf

Let the kids play in the neighbor's yard and build a bird bath and feeder around what you have.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun 06 Sep 2009 05:44:11p, Shaf told us...

There may be a reason why the riser is this high, especially since there is electrical and a pump involved. If it's that much of a problem, call the company who installed it to find out what can be done. Short of that, buy a fake boulder and cover it up. Maybe your kids will have to play football somewhere else.

When we moved into our new house a few years ago, the riser pies were at least 24 inches above the ground, if not higher. Since there was no electrical or pump involved, I cut them off at ground level and installed new caps. The caps protrude about 3 inches above ground, as I didn't want to lose track of where they were. Plantings obscure them.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I had the same problem long ago. You can either go to a place that sells risers, dig around yours and replace it with a lower one, or you can dig then use a concrete saw blade (in a junk saw) and cut around yours to the height you want. If you want grass to grow on it allow 6 inches of dirt on top. I had dug mine up all the way down to the tank because the installer didn't seal it right and a heavy rain would leak water into the tank. Get the sealer from the place that sells the risers. Yellow pages, look under "concrete products". Just mount the electrical stuff lower.

Reply to
Tony

I have a similiar problem, albeit lower to the ground than yours. One is a septic filter that has to be cleaned out once in a while. The other is the septic tank riser. I am thinking either 1. the fake boulder thing, 2.fake wishing well, with hinge mount on one side to lay it over and clean the filter or 3. lighthouse (or you name it) with same hinge treatment. Either of these would have to be built as light as possible for easy layover and of course a lock pin on the opposite side to secure it. Just some thoughts I have had. Good luck and let us know what you did. Lyndell BTW my two risers are within a foot on each other. Whatever I cover it with must be oblong or oval or rectangle. One is 36" dia. the other about 24" dia. Guess I could set an old truck topper over them ? :-)

It's the perfect late summer evening, and I am sitting out on my deck looking at my beautiful yard.all except the for the septic tank riser that is sticking out 24 inches about the ground! It looks like a fricking missile silo!

We just got done with a house remodel where we added a few rooms and had to get the septic system / field enlarged. We had to move the field and it was a tad above the elevation of the tanks, so they did a L(ow) P(ressure) D(istrubution) system.

The septic tank riser is on the second tank that gets pumped out to the field, and in addition to what is some PVC plumbing inside of the riser running down into the tank, there is also a electrical box mounted on the side of the riser.

So I can't stand looking at the thing, and it's smack dab in the middle of my kids football field.

What are my options for reconfiguring (electrical? plumbing in the riser?) so I can put this stuff below / in the ground?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Build a model of a battleship or Titanic. The stacks could work as vents.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Go with the lighthouse and include a gas light that burns the methane!

Reply to
Tony