An ice storm check in call

Page 1 of 3
Western NYS, USA. Heavy snow coming down. Power is on. I'm enroute to the store, to pick up some pictures, and also buy more groceries in case the power goes out. Milk, bread, eggs, etc.
My sympathies to the folks in Oklahoma, and other places affected by the ice storm.
How's everyone doing?
I may use this "down time" to change out a couple circuit breakers been meaning to change.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

Where in Western NY?

I'm just east of Rochester. The snow, Thursday the 13th of Nov, cleared by 5 PM when I headed home.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I just got power back about an hour ago. It was out for about 78 hours. It is supposed to warm up a little this afternoon and I need to get out and change the oil in the generator and get it put back up. I was real pleased with the performance of the generator. It took about 9 gal of gas every 24 hours. I was running most things in my house and a neighbors furnace, fridge, and TV.
There are still a lot of people in Oklahoma without power and we have a winter storm watch for Friday night and Saturday morning.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Jim Rusling wrote:

How are all those FEMA generators I saw go by on 75 doing?
<snip>

Those were big commercial ones that were going primarily to city's. They needed them for water wells and waste water treatment. Some are being used to power shelters. They may end up using some of them to get power back for some schools. Almost all of our schools around here have been closed all week.
We did get our power back about 11:00 AM. That meant that the power outage lasted about 78 hours. We have been lucky. The State still has about 800,000 without power and the Oklahoma City metro area has over 200,000.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"Jim Rusling" < snipped-for-privacy@rusling.org> wrote in message

I had everything here at the house including a 4.5 KW generator.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

That should have been 4.0 KW. That is the continuous rating.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"Jim Rusling" < snipped-for-privacy@rusling.org> wrote in message
Sunday Dec 16, 2007
Awoke with a flutter of anticipation in my breast. My heart beat with anticipation, I strode purposefully to the windows, and looked searching for evidence of calamity and destruction. Looking out the side of my trailer, I spotted the neighbors car. There was a dusting of snow on top. Surely, there must be more.
Sofly, silently I slid to the front window of the trailer, and tried to focuss my nearsighted peepers out the glazed double pane glass. But what was to be seen? Hark! Is it in the distance! Do mine eyes deceive me? It is.... a trace of snow on the step across the street. I polish my concave optical ajusters, and wipe the traces of sleep out of mine eyes. I pour a large jolt of caffeinated sode, and add a couple ice cubes. With intentness of purpose, I slug down large ammounts of BHA, BHT, MSG, carmelized sugars, dissolved processed sugar, and a heart palpitating dose of caffeine, to get the poor tired circulation running.
With the greatest of courage, I ponder the question of checking the thermometer. One moment, I shall muster up all the strenth I have. A pause, I bow my head and offer praises to the Great God of the Universe for preserving me through the night in warmth and health. I gird up my bathrobe, and wish for warm woolen socks on my feet within my slippers. Courage, Christopher, Courage! Remember the handcart pioneers who crossed the plains with rags tied around their feet, and only burlap feed bags for shoes. Leaving drops of blood in every step as their feet froze. I pondered the matter, and gave thanks to be in a warm trailer, and hearing the furnace running in the other room.
With anxiety and fear, I fixed my eyes on the blue alcohol thermometer which reads the outdoor temperature. Slowly scanning up from the bottom of the tube, I find the top of the blue alcohol, and read across to the numbers. It is 21F degrees outside. Cold enough, dear reader, to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. It is among the coldest we've experienced in ages. Bitter bone numbing cold, far colder even that last night when it was 15F out, oh, well, maybe not.
In the spirit of my warrior ancestors, I picked up a long wooden stick. Fearing nothing, I set my jaw, and resolved to face what ever the world had. Would I survive to write of the occasion? Would this be my last action on Earth? Are the Gods of the universe prepared to receive my mortal soul? And in the warrior tradition, I unlocked the front door, and pushed open the storm door. I plunged the snow shovel (marked in inches) into the snow, and focussed my sadly nearsighted eyes on the indications marked on the blade of my formidable weapon of weather warrior. My lance, my broadsword, my weapon of no mercy plunged to the depth of the snow, leaving no room for any quarrel, or resistance. The sharpened steel edge cut effortlessly, making a wide path for the thin, stamped, corrugated aluminum mass produced blade that was purchased at Kmart, for public use. One by one, the magic marker numbers fell from sight, as the sharp steel blade sliced viciously into my mortal enemy. Would I survive this contact, or would I be before sunset laying dead on the ground, a victim of heart attack snow? Would I live long enough to father children, raise the next generation, and continue the proud Young name, fighters to the end? Would I be privileged to pass on the traditions of the family? The five day work week, the puttering around the home, the table napkin folded neatly on the laps of children eating with their elbows off the table? The drinking glass ahead and to the right, the fork on the left, knife and spoon on the right, with the knife facing the plate?
With a mighty battle roar, I fearlessly plunged deeper and deeper. My steel cut into my foe, there is no turning back. It is do or die. I must be victorious, there is no life in defeat. There is no honor in retreat. My battle roar echoes off the storm door, and into my furnace heated living room. My sword has reached bone, the enemy lays lifeless before my steel. I look with a proud victorious gaze, on the defeated enemy which lays flat and lifeless and silently on the ground before me. I am victorious, I live to fight another day.
I have just plunged my blade into 2 3/4 inches of heavy wet snow. I am WARRIOR!!!! FEAR ME!!!!
Now, I'd best get some breakfast, and get dressed. Got to get the snow blower out.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

Yup! Thanks for the laugh.
Hey, you're not supposed to laugh at the mighty warrior. Now my feelings are hurt.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Noahbuddy" < snipped-for-privacy@inner.space.org> wrote in message

oh, eh, ummm, thanks for the big warrior story. yay, warrior!!!

what kind of generator? I'm in the market for one and yours sounds battle-tested
Joe wrote:

Don't know that Jim has, but Honda and Generac are generally good choices at opposite ends of the price range for gas portables. Hondas are of course quiet and expensive, while the Generacs are loud and relatively cheap. Either way, if you exercise them regularly under load (electric heaters work well for load), use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and use Stabil in all your gas they are generally quite reliable.
Yeah, I'd also like to know. I've got a junk consumer model, but the information is still good.
Mine is a Coleman 2200, no longer made. My Dad learned the hard way. When you store old gas in your generator, it won't restart. When your "helpful" neighbor sprays ether into the spark plug hole, the piston locks up, and the generator is junk.
Run them dry. Spray ether on the air filter, if you need to.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Joe" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

I just use stabil in the gas. I have never run it completely dry. When I am ready to store it, I just run it on idle for a few minutes, turn the gas off and then shut it down. I do start it every three months to exercise it. The first nice day I will be changing the oil. If it has not been run for a while, I always pull it through three or four times before I turn on the gas and the run switch. This will get the oil started moving. This really only works if it has a pressurized oil system, not a splash system.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"Jim Rusling" < snipped-for-privacy@rusling.org> wrote in message
<snip>

It is a Generac XL 4000. I bought it almost 9 years ago, I don't think that today's Generac home generators are the same quality. The only previous extended use was a few years ago when the power was out 39 hours. I have used it several times for less than 6 hours. I also exercise it at least once every 3 months for 20 to 30 minutes.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired