Aluminum frame screen repair

Don't try to stretch it really tight, rolling in the spine will do that automatically.

Reply to
dadiOH

This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Use new rubber spline, usually the old crap doesn't have the required pliability. I prefer the metal screen myself. Also, watch a couple of YouTube videos on the process.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Plastic or fiberglass? May I guess fiberglass?

Some folks (like me) like to do the top and bottom first, then the sides. I put some weight on the screen to keep it straight while I do one end, then remove the weight and pull the screen taut while I do the other end. After that the sides go in and hopefully the screen is flat when done.

Be careful as you roll the spline in. One slip with the tool and you can cut the screen requiring you to start over. A large flat surface is best. If you have a lot of screens to do, a "right angle" jig can help. Just 2 straight edges clamped to a surface to hold the frame square and firm while you roll the spline it. Probably not worth the set-up time for one screen, but if you got a lot to do, it can help.

Make sure you orient the screen material correctly. If you install it inside out you'll upset the balance of nature. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's not difficult. Lay the frame flat. Cut the screen to the outer edge of the frame. Lay it over the frame and ensure it's taunt, but as others have said, do not pull or over stretch. Start at one corner with the spline and work your way around. Use a sharp razor to cut the excess screen at the outer edge of the spline. Install frame.

Reply to
Meanie

That sounds right and we go a lot of screen here.

Reply to
gfretwell

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Hmm, is this the definition of bug-catcher?

Reply to
Tekkie®