ALERT: AVOID Shell gas stations in South USA for week

Okay I stand corrected and you have well said your claim and backed it up with reliable news sources. Of course if you had just included that simple little link in the begining we could have red the story and gone out and filled up our tanks anyway because lets face it, we don't carry test kits for our gasoline to test it before we buy so we rely on the refiners to give us good stuff. Just like we rely on the wieghts and measure guys to make sure the pumps are pumping a gallon when it says it's a gallon. I stand corrected on the shell closing thanks for the links.

Reply to
PackMule

Anybody who takes anything posted on the usent at face value.....

MOM

Reply to
mean old man

You are attributing/linking in the thread, this to the wrong person, all I did was explain the gauge.

I could have come up with the old ones (links) that happened a couple years back, this isn't the first time. Chrysler and Jeep gauges were especially susceptible.

Mike

PackMule wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The one time I had a gas sending unit out, it is a float. The float attaches to a rod, and a pivot. About an inch from the pivot is a coil of resistance wire, and the rod contacts the coil of wire.

As the float moves up and down, it touches a different part of the wire, which makes for different resistance (ask a TV guy someday how a "potentiometer" works and you'll get some idea).

If the resistance wire is coated with sulfur, the rod doesn't make contact. I apologize that I can't explain it better than that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
dom