Air Switch for disposal

In looking homes, I've begun to see what they call air or pneumatic switches to control disposals. In almost all instances, these have been mounted vertically in the cabinet tops, toward the side of the faucet. I don't know if code now requires this type of switch or whether it's now just in vogue. I can see some slight safety gain in not having an electrical connection near the sink and can see some added convenience by having it close to the faucet.
My concern is that in the ones I've tried, there is quite a bit of clearance between the button itself and the housing. The resulting void around the button would surely become a mess when a soapy finger would press the button. Have any of you used this type of on/off switch for your disposal and how do you keep it clean and not let it get gunked up? Are they reliable?
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth
Nonny wrote:

I have had one in my kitchen for about 6 years and it just does not get dirty if you make sure that your hands are not all wet and soapy when you push the button. It allowed me to install a garbage disposal without rewiring the wall for a switch. I was able to use the outlet under the sink that the dishwasher was hooked to to connect the other end of the air switch. It has two outlets on it. Mine is set up so that in one position one outlet of the connector is hot, then when you push it it switches to another. This allows you to put a garbage disposal on one plug and a hot water dispenser on the other if you want to.
--- ---
Add pictures here
βœ–

that would be handy.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

If you are doing a new install, get the model disposal with integrated switch. No special wiring needed, nothing to get gunked up.
Add pictures here
βœ–