air compressor regulators

In regard to regulators on air compressors:
If the hose is loose on the end, can pressure be shut way down on it----or----turned way up?
I can't remember if it works that way or not.
rb wrote:

It will leak faster if you turn the pressure up. Fix the hose and don't worry about it.
I'm thinking about how to check out the regulator for operation.
Running it through an open hose you should be able to shut 'er down or turn her way up, right?
rb wrote:

Most but not all regulators will stop the flow when the adjustment is unscrewed all the way. I would have just turned it all the way both directions before posting here. Much faster.
Tony wrote:

I think he's referring to venting type regulators, which I think would be most common on air compressor regulators. Venting where you can reduce the pressure downstream without having to release air elsewhere downstream.

The hose should be closed or nearly closed. If open, the regulator may not be able to pass enough air for the gauge to go up very far.
One way is to set the regulator to the minimum pressure and stop up the hose. Then turn the regulator up and see if the pressure goes up. You may have to oepn the end of the hose to let the pressure off.
rb wrote:

What exactly are you trying to do?