air compressor oil or oilless?

"Heathcliff" wrote

I don't live in cold country, but I think if it's kept in the garage it would be okay.

A compressor is similar to a car in operation, it just doesn't have combustion. The crankcase is sealed pretty good from the compression chamber by rings. I have never considered oil in my air. If I was to be using it for plasma cutting, I would have a very good filter on there, mainly for the water, and secondly for the oil. I suggest you read up about how much oil actually comes out. And by read up, I mean contact manufacturers such as Ingersol Rand and the majors and not here. Lots of information and knowledge here, but you want it from the manufacturer.

If you were to be getting much oil in the compressor, I think it would indicate advanced stages of wear.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Depends on the garage. Maybe an attached garage that does not get too cold but mine is unattached with no heat. I had a compressor that would just hum at 25 degrees or less. My oilless works though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski