Advice on new range

Page 3 of 3

Get an electric with "tight" coils. They are higher quality than the scrawny-coil types.
Advantages of electric;
-No dangerous open flame -No added humidity from combustion -No explosion hazard -No stink -More efficient transfer of energy from element to pan instead of wasting energy on hot combustion gases flowing up around the pot/pan unused in large quantities -Cooler workspace above pan for stirring (see previous point) -Durable coils
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the finer aspects of gas cooking. But if you don't already have a gas line in place by your range, and any of the above points are important to you, I suggest electric, especially if you're already used to it's heating response characteristics.
I don't recommend smoothtops. Too many people have too many problems with cracks, stains, pot size acceptance problems, etc.

Curious that you can only find the negatives for gas, and some of them highly dubious at that. It would seem a fair person would get a piece of paper and list the pros and cons for both electric and gas, as opposed to concentrating on one side of the page. Did you help Bush when he was making the decision to go to war in Iraq?

Stick with the well-known brands as you'll never know when you may need a spare part. Might be good to make a list of features you need, features you want, and then order the list by importance. Research Consumer Reports repair records for brands you might want to avoid. My Whirlpool gas range has made it 17 years with one valve controller diy replacement; ranges can last a very long time.

I don't know about all these other people with their electric vs. gas argument. I have a wood-fired range and oven.
You don't get that nasty gas smell. No open flames. No control knobs for kids to burn themselves or burn the house down with. Lots cheaper than electric. My oven is 112 years old, made in 1896.
Don't waste your time on gas or electric. You don't see gas or electric cooking at the REAL pizza shops or barbecue joints.... The true professionals cook with WOOD!

In that price range, not much difference from what I saw. You'll get a basic range, not fancy controls and circuit boards to break in five years. It will do any basic cooking that 90% of people do.
If you want lots of fancy features, figure $1000 and up. Way up. You can drop $10,000 on a range.
I do love my Bertazzoni though. This is mine. http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Product/detail.aspx?CatID=PS&IDG
I don't remember you writing if you wanted gas or electric. I'd try to see if Consumer Reports has a free online section. Have a look at that. I'd try to avoid anything complicated. Electronic circuits tend to go bad. Having done some appliance repair, the parts house guys call GE "Generally Expensive". Their replacement parts are higher cost than other brands. I also avoid Sears, I personally don't like the company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

But some Kenmore stuff gets high marks from Consumer Reports (which are in the library).
Lou
Sometimes, you favor or avoid a brand cause you don't like the company. If I read a Consumer Reports, and Sears was the only A+++ rated range, I'd still buy some other brand.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There are some pluses with Sears. They guarantee most of the products they sell, I found Sears has available parts online. Kenmore is not high-end quality, but often above average. I have seen brand-quality vary over time so what was good 10-20 years ago may still not be good.
Shears used to, and probably still uses off spec parts. So if you want a set of breaker points for a Sears Tecumseh engine, the ordinary Tecumseh points won't work. I'm sure they do a lot of things like that to keep the parts traffic coming back. But, not *MY* parts traffic.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus