advice before I stucco?

3 years ago I had a plumber replace pipes. In one spot they had to open a 1x2 foot hole in the stucco, and didnt do a good job fixing it. Now its cracked about enough to let water in and looks crappy so I want to take it out and redo. Seems like a somewhat big job for a nonhandyman so I thought to ask here for advice. So far I have a box of Rapidset mortar mix, small trowel, wood float, hammer and chisel. I suspect they did not use lathe (because it seems a little springy) but thought I'd open it up and see first, then go back and buy lathe, felt, snips, and staple gun if necessary. So, any advice before I take the plunge?
dont forget to buy stucco mix
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote in message

Not sure if you are kidding me. The Rapidcure mortar mix is stucco mix, isnt it? The box says it can be used for stucco repair and shows pictures of usage all the way down to lathe.
No I wasnt kidding, but i thought you just forgot to mention it. So it was a small joke. Actualy you have mortar mix, for basecoat, scratchcoat on lath .You need a stucco topcoat , not mortar mix

k thanks.
Im not familiar with your brand name. But you have basecoat.