addidng light fixture "old work"

I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle of the ceiling So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I am thinking of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the wire between the beams straight to the wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the studs down to the floor Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings close to the studs and run wire through the studs to the receptacle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
It sounds like you're on the right track. You can also run from the ceiling to the wall switch, if that would be more direct

It wouldn't be that much harder to tap it into the receptacle, it would look less cobbed. You may find the top of the wall to be the biggest challenge, unless the pitch of your roof is pretty steep, there isn't room enough for humans and tools at the edge above the wall. You may luck out and find the wire for the receptacle runs from the top down, then 2 possibilities appear; run your wire down beside the existing wire, or just break the wire in the attic, install a junction box & tap it right there. If you decide to tap it at the receptacle and it is nailed on metal box, you can cut the nails and pull the box & replace it with a plastic new work box, maybe even a double & have 2 outlets there. It still will be less than ideal as you should have light and receptacles on separate circuits, to keep a short in a plug from leaving you in the dark.

I should have mentioned that before. This is two-story hose and I am talking about 1st floor. There is a second floor above it.

You are going to have to get the wire through the top plate of the wall, which may require something other than a "small hole".
If the location for the light is not in line with the receptacle, you are going to have to go through either studs or joists, unless you down into the basement and back up. In that case, you are going to have to go through the sill plate also - twice.
Finally, I'm a little confused about what you plan to do with the outlet. Is it still going to be controlled by the switch or are you going to wire it "always hot"?
I think it might be better to abandon the old wires in the wall and wire the fixture directly to the switch. Then wire the outlet always hot. Perhaps you can do all of that from the basement.

Again, I should have mentioned that as well: I have no basement nor attic This is first floor or the two story house build on the concrete slab without crawl space.
Yes , I am planning to make wire the outlet as outlet should be "always hot"
By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top plate between Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and then fish it down to the floor
I can not run the new wire to the switch- there are 23 studs om my way, and only 3 to the outlet.
The design of the switch controlling the outlet just drives me nuts. Who in the right mind would come with such a design? I see it very often and it amaze me every time. What is the history of it? Were there no ceiling lamps in US 20-30 years ago? I don't think so.

re: By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top plate between Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and then fish it down to the floor
Does this mean you are going to chisel into the face of the top plate, place the wire in the "groove" and then patch the drywall so that the wire is directly behind the drywall as opposed to running through a hole in the middle of the plate? Just curious...

If you do that you are required by code to put a steel plate over the wire where it goes through the chiseled trough in the wood
nate