addidng light fixture "old work"

I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle of the ceiling So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I am thinking of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the wire between the beams straight to the wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the studs down to the floor Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings close to the studs and run wire through the studs to the receptacle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
mazaltov

It sounds like you're on the right track. You can also run from the ceiling to the wall switch, if that would be more direct

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I should have mentioned that before. This is two-story hose and I am talking about 1st floor. There is a second floor above it.

Reply to
mazaltov

You are going to have to get the wire through the top plate of the wall, which may require something other than a "small hole".

If the location for the light is not in line with the receptacle, you are going to have to go through either studs or joists, unless you down into the basement and back up. In that case, you are going to have to go through the sill plate also - twice.

Finally, I'm a little confused about what you plan to do with the outlet. Is it still going to be controlled by the switch or are you going to wire it "always hot"?

I think it might be better to abandon the old wires in the wall and wire the fixture directly to the switch. Then wire the outlet always hot. Perhaps you can do all of that from the basement.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Again, I should have mentioned that as well: I have no basement nor attic This is first floor or the two story house build on the concrete slab without crawl space.

Yes , I am planning to make wire the outlet as outlet should be "always hot"

By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top plate between Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and then fish it down to the floor

I can not run the new wire to the switch- there are 23 studs om my way, and only 3 to the outlet.

The design of the switch controlling the outlet just drives me nuts. Who in the right mind would come with such a design? I see it very often and it amaze me every time. What is the history of it? Were there no ceiling lamps in US 20-30 years ago? I don't think so.

Reply to
mazaltov

re: By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top plate between Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and then fish it down to the floor

Does this mean you are going to chisel into the face of the top plate, place the wire in the "groove" and then patch the drywall so that the wire is directly behind the drywall as opposed to running through a hole in the middle of the plate? Just curious...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you do that you are required by code to put a steel plate over the wire where it goes through the chiseled trough in the wood

nate

Reply to
N8N