AC/Unit how big to go?

Page 2 of 3
"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote in message

I moved here in 1952 at age 4. Henderson (where we lived) had about 7,000 and Las Vegas about 40,000. Now they're pushing two million. Over the years, I did well on some deals, careers, real estate and various gambles. Did really well in silver before the Hunt brothers messed it up. Boy, did I sell at the right time!
I've seen a lot and participated in history. I worked at the joints. I sat and played blackjack with Elvis for 45 minutes one time. I played ping pong with Pearl Bailey. Shecky Greene tried to choke me. I met lots of celebrities and had elbow to elbow contact. Lots were nice folks, and some were absolute jerks. It was a good ride.
But now, it's over, and I'm ready for a rural existence in Utah on my ranch and at my cabin. Lots of fishing and hunting and ATV riding to be done.
Anyone want to buy two vacation rentals in Las Vegas? $950k.
Steve

When
and
a/c.
contractor
ton
bigger
big
they
can,
And how old is the unit???

Is the ducting adequite for the extra ton???

it
swamp
Why did the compressor go??? I'd sure want to know why before I spent money on the replacement.
Is your ducting adequite for the 5-ton unit???

18 years

No going to increase the tonnage, just replace what's there. I was merely stating that when initially putting in a unit, I would opt for slightly oversized rather than marginal. Please reread following sentence.

The fan motor seized, and the renters just kept turning the thermostat down instead of alerting me of a problem. Thus, the compressor ran 24/7 for two weeks.

Sometimes, shit just happens. Tekkie said it was 95% old age and 5% renter stupidity.

Has been since the unit was originally installed.
Steve

Why are you replacing a compressor in a 18 yr old unit?
Do you know that the life expectancy is 18-20 years?

Because the house is up for sale, and it's cheaper than what they want for a whole new unit.
Sheesh.
What else do you want to know?
Steve

You could have recovered the cost of a new system when you sold the home. As the buyer would have saw a new unit, that they wouldn't have to replace. Now all they see is an old POS that someone spent a LOT of money on for a repair. To them, it's still something that they're going to have to replace. It's a mind game and the game says you're likely to get your money back on a new system first. It makes the home more appealing and that means more money.
That's why!!! :-)
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

You will almost never be able to recover the cost of such improvements.

The only real argument might be that it is easier to sell the house with a new AC in a slow market. I agree you won't pump the price up that much. People are buying a new house (to them). The more "new stuff" they see the easier it is to write that 6 figure check.
CJT wrote:

It is really strange I have watched hundreds of homes being sold & improved for sale & it is extremely rare to see or hear anything about the central air conditioning & heating system. That is one of the most important things to know about, yet you see or hear zip about them! Learn a little about what you might be buying.
Heating & Air that is not operating properly can cost you a fortune, & for a lot of reasons a high percentage of central ACs don't operate efficiently! http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
- udarrell

for
home. As

Now
replace.
on a

Bullshit, it's all in the marketing.

I like placing a large fan just in front of the A/C.
What advantages? Off the top of my head (or maybe they're out of my hat):
. the a/c's own fan doesn't/can't shoot the air very far away. With a fan, angled towards one side of the room, maybe also up towards the ceiling, a bit, shoots the cool air much farther into the room.
Plus, the angle starts the air cycling *around* the room.
. Benefit of that: without extra fan, cold air bunches up near the a/c. Thermostat, "thinking" that the whole room is of that cold temperature, shuts off the a/c -- while rest of room, ceiling, etc has likely seen NO cool air yet.
Thus a/c turns off way too soon, humidity stays in the air, to say nothing of the heat not being sucked out the window.
Perhaps-useful mental model:
Consider an a/c that's so much too small that more heat keeps coming in through the walls, windows, leaks, etc, than the a/c takes out. Result: room keeps getting hotter, until at some higher temperature equilibrium is reached, and it shuts off.
David
David Combs wrote:

If you are using a room AC or a mini-ductless AC by using 20" vertically adjustable fans (Wind Machine 3300) you can cool a lot larger area. I cool 3 rooms & a hallway in an older 1937 home that is over 850-sq.ft with a Half-Ton mere 6,000-BTUH room AC in 104 Heat indexes. http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioner_current_temperature_btuh_charting.html
Somebody is really nuts to be using 9-Tons to cool a mere 2800-sq.ft home. What would an accurate Manual J heat-gain calc call for, 2.5 to 3.5-Ton? Without sufficient runtime, - as the sensible temperature drops the percent of Relative Humidity rises causing a clammy mold spore producing environment!
It appears he is using at least one 5-Ton & perhaps a 4-Ton. Both require a lot of airflow to work properly, the 5-Ton airflow level is not easy to achieve in a residential system.
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
udarrell
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:09:54 -0700, "Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:>> Why? A competent estimator performing a manual J calculation will give the

If you don't need the whole house cool all the time 2 systems may be your answer. Knock the bedrooms down at night and hit the "living" part of the house harder during the day

It's the ONLY answer if the house is over 2200 sf.
Steve
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:42:04 -0700, "Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:>>

I hear you partner. That is why I mentioned Az. The real answer to all of these has to come from a good local contractor who has been around long enough to know what works

lived
a/c
for
a 4

btu
that
it
heat
Doesn't matter where the contractors from... there are competent ones and hacks everywhere. The competent ones know how to properly size, install and set-up HVAC systems no matter where they're being installed.
Have a HVAC contractor in your area come by your place and perform a heat load.
You really need to find the right size because if it's too small it will not cool properly and if it's too big it again will not cool properly.
Question is this a window unit? If it is you can go to a number of places to find the right size for window units and you will not have to have a heat load. They are generally for central air.
-- Moe Jones HVAC Service Technician Energy Equalizers Inc. Houston, Texas www.EnergyEqualizers.com
have approximately a 4,000 sqft loft and not sure what size AC/<BR>Furnace Unit I will need. Just trying to get a general idea. I was<BR>looking at the following and not sure if it will be able to handle the<BR>size of the room.<BR><BR>Goodman Air Conditioner/Furnace Package Unit<BR><BR>GOODMAN<BR>Model: GPG13360901AB<BR><BR>13 SEER (cooling)<BR>Cooling capacity: 35,400 BTU<BR>80% AFUE (heating)<BR>208 / 230 Volts<BR>60 Hz<BR>1 Phase<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I will see about geeting a heat load test. No this one is not a window unit.

find the right size for window units and you will not have to have a heat load. They are generally for central air.

message

find the right size for window units and you will not have to have a heat load. They are generally for central air.

message
I'm in the market for a new one too. Mine is 22 years old this month. It's a trane and it keeps on running, but I supplement it with wall units that are very high EER so I hardly ever fire it up.
But, I am not getting anything but a multi-speed compressor unit.
"Right sized 2-speed high SEER (15+) heat pump HVAC system with variable speed blower. A 'right sized' system with a multi speed compressor assures that the unit has a sufficient cycle time to both provide desired comfort level and optimum dehumidification."
Pay more now and enjoy 10-20 years of comfort.

I knew they had variable speed blowers, but how is it possible to have a 2-speed compressor?