AC power not at spec.

I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is stumped, and the power Co. is no help.
Ron
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIScompulan2.com wrote:

Try your utility company again. It sounds like their problem. And they're generally very good about these things in my experience. Maybe you were just unlucky and got a rep that was having a bad hair day or somefink.

I don't see how any competent electrician could be stumped. Where is the voltage being measured? If inside the house somewhere it's 90V, but it's OK at the meter, then the problem is in your house. If it's 90 at the meter, it's from there back to the pole, which is generally the power company's responsibility. Most likely this is a power company problem.
What exactly did the electrician and power company tell you?

Get a different electrician. This is really basic stuff. Either the company has a bad connection to your house, or there is a bad connection inside.
Get the fire dept involved. That's what i did when my voltage was fluctuating wildly. The power co didn't respond favorably, so i called the fire dispatch. They said do you have a fire? I said NOT YET, and explained the situation. The power and light co. was out 15 minutes later with several men.
The fact that your 'other' leg is not wavering is very mysterious. I think i'd be looking for a bad connection or possibly a bad transformer.

Ask them to put a recorder on your line. It will keep a record of the changes.
This is not usual. Usually it means you have a big power users near by (industrial?) or they need to upgrade a transformer etc. It is also possible (depending on how the original numbers were measured) that it is within your home. A floating neutral will often end up with numbers like that. In either case you want it taken care of NOW.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Sorry if this is basic, but is it bad only at one outlet, if all the lights in your house work ok then I would assume it is on the line feeding the outlet. Note most places power is 120 Volts.

i had this trouble once, wierd seeing just part of the house lights go dim. called power company naturally everything was perfect when they arrived.
2 days later the dim side went out and power company replaced the transformer........
intermittents can be a hassle to fix, better when something quits completely:)

city is comming alive (5:00 to 9:00AM). I will check all connections on my side of the breaker box and look for an open netural. When I bought the house the builder had not connected several grounds on some outlets. A loose connection would give the trouble, except I only see the problem in the evining (7:00 to 10:00 PM) and in the morning from (5:00 to 9:00 AM). During the day the voltage a solid 116 VAC. The power company will get another call and I hope to get a rep. who understands my problem. I am testing the circut with a DVOM and the voltage get's down long enough for the meter to respont.
Ron
Time of day seems to point to the power company. Do you have electric heat/heat pump which would also be on then, unless you are lucky enough to be living where it still is warm.

I spent Saturday going through the breaker box, beautiful day to turn off the heat and found a loose and badly burned buss bolt. I replaced the bolt, cleaned the connection and replaced one breaker. The breaker was working but were hot to the touch. We now have a good steady 120 VAC on both legs from the power company. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Ron

If you gave the first electrician any money, you need to stop payment on the check if possible, or take him to court. The fault was really *really* basic stuff. A 15 second description at small claims court in front of the judge will win the case for you automatically. Just say the problem, what you found, and how any competant electrician should have had the skills to locate the fault.