AC/heat/heat pump reccomendations....

Having just survived a near fire in the attic from one of my blower motors seizing last night - and yes, the Madison Fire Department came along with several of Madison's finest.......fortunately, all the damage we had was a really nasty electrical burn smell and a very uncomfortable night sleeping on the pull-out sofa (in addition to a reasonable bill for a new blower motor - I had to search hard & wide to find one locally that would work).

Anyway, I think it is about time I really get serious about replacing both my current 15-year old split gas/electric systems with new, updated heat pumps...never did like having gas pilots burning in the attic anyway.

Anyone have any experiences with replacing whole systems as I would like to rip out both the gas and AC systems and replace with heat pumps with variable speed air handlers.

If anyone has done this recently, what systems (brand) did you choose, are you happy with the performance? Good/bad/horror stories? Approximate costs would be nice - though I know there are a lot of factors that go into fitting and installing a new system, it's nice to hear what others have to say.

House specs 2900 sq ft; brick; tri-level on slab.

Any insight would be much appreciated......

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

One call to a HVAC pro would have fixed you right up for the blower motor.

None of the new systems out there that I know of have a standing pilot; they are all some kind of electronic ignition(HSI or spark).

Lots of experience. Just remember that if you are used to gas heat, heat pumps are cold. the discharge air without the resistance heat actually feels cool on your skin during the winter.

Ignore the hype the manufacturers put out and find a good installer. Ask co-workers, friends, neighbors for reccommendations. Make sure they do a heat loss (Manual J) on your house, not just put back in what's there.

If you have a single system, consider zoning your house. Based on you lead off comment (one of my blower motors), you already have more than one system.

You have it.

You're welcome!

Reply to
HeatMan

Thanks for the reply - your comments are right in line with everyone else's - just what I need.

On the motor - I did hit up 3 HVAC folks - all said they would have to order one with a 3 week lead time - it's too hot here in Alabama so I just did it myself : ) ended up having to replace the squirrel cage also -

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Just out of curiosity...why the cage too? Stuck to the shaft?

Reply to
CBHvac

Yep - by the time I got it off, it was a bit warped : )

Reply to
Steve

Future fileback time..

Loosen shaft nut, or screw, spray with something other than WD-40...I use turbo oil myself..wait about 15 minutes...take an adjustable wrench and tighten to the flat side of shaft, hold cage, and wiggle the shaft. it should fall out. IF its got rust on it, before you do a thing, emory cloth the exposed shaft, and THEN oil it. If that wont move it, there is a puller made for this ONE thing..and its a champ...one little pop and the motor about flys out...

Reply to
CBHvac