A few questions about DEHUMIDIFIERS... ???

We live in an apartment and for reasons to long to go into cannot have air conditioning. All we have are fans which do an OK job of moving the air around. Better than nothing I guess.
Now... If we were to add a DEHUMIDIFIER to the mix, would that help us feel any cooler? Sometimes, especially at night the humidity outside is like 80, 90% or even higher. We have the windows open and although the air is a little cooler at night it is just so damn sticky.
What if we got a dehumidifier or two, closed the windows and let the fans run. Would it FEEL cooler? Also... do dehumidifiers have any COOLING capability at all?
Thanks in advance
DAVID
It will be warmer with a dehumidifier, they use alot of energy and don`t exuast it outside. My basement is 2-3f warmer when I turn my dehumidifier on in summer. If you have a window you can have AC, there are floor standing units that vent the hot exuast out a window, get AC.
David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

Dehumidifiers blow out hot air. They will most definitely warm your apartment. Whether or not it will actually feel cooler I couldn't say, but I think it would be a big waste of money (for the dehumidifiers and the electricity to operate them). If you can't have a window AC unit for some reason, there are units that do not need a window - like these http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.jump/itemType.CATEGORY/itemID.38/qx/Portable_Air_Conditioners.htm?mtcpromotion=Google%3EPortable%20Air%3EAd1
You will need a way to exhaust the hot air. If that is still not possible, my guess is you're SOL as far as I know.
Doug
On 12 Jul 2006 05:09:22 -0700, David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

Dehumidifiers add heat, but it's probably a good tradeoff, anyway. I'v heard good things about chemical dehumidifiers like dry-z-air, but I've never actually tried one. (Those will generate heat, too, but probably not as much as the machine would.)
Goedjn wrote:

A dehumdifier is an air conditioner with both the intake and exhaust inside.
Why can you have a dehumidifer and not an air conditioner? Mark
I have lived in apartments with the same problem and people would try this, guess it works some what. But if your upstairs the people below will hear it humming and they always complained guess its loud below? get one of those AC. that vent with a dryer hose and make a easy to place and remove vent for the window if you use it at night who will ever see it.it could even just be heavy cardboard. and place the AC. on a piece of carpet with allot of padding under carpet so it cant be heard below if that's an issue.

Thanks for the replies. See, the problem is, all we have is a sliding glass door. BTW, can any window unit operate vertically instead of horizontally?
Thanks
DAVID
On 13 Jul 2006 13:35:16 -0700, David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

NO.
Running an typical AC unit in any position other than very level will reduce its life, and even even prematurely kill it.
There is a an oil sump, and if the oil isn't there, the compressor will die. So level is best.
Do you have any window? Might want to get a stand alone package/portable AC unit. Go to home depot, and search for "Portable Air Conditioner"
later,
tom @ www.Japanese-Beetles.com
David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

No, but they do make units designed for vertically-mounted windows (like casement windows). You could probably kludge one of those into a patio door, basically resting it on the floor and filling in the space above it. Of course, you could do the same with a horizontal model; it's not going to be ideal.
Better to just buy a portable a/c that sits on the floor and has a hose to vent the hot air outside. There's gotta be some way for you to get a hole for a small hose to go outside...
On 12 Jul 2006 05:09:22 -0700, David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

IMHO,
You are correct, dehumidifying the air will make the air movement more effective in cooling you off.
The one thing a Dehumifier does that a window AC does not, it exhausts the hot air back into the room. If you just use a window AC unit, it will dehumidify the air, and cool it off too.
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com
Thanks for all the replies. Another question. Would an extension cord rated for 13amps safely be able to handle a small window AC unit that uses about 1000w?
Thanks
DAVID
On 18 Jul 2006 00:28:11 -0700, David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

IMHO,
Extension cords are not allowed in my house. I don't trust them generally.
Spend a few bucks and get an electrician to wire an outlet box. It's safer, and shouldn't be too much money.
Good luck,
tom @ www.Japanese-Beetles.com
It depends how long the cord is, look up ratings, the longer the cord the less it can handle.