A couple of Painting questions.

Hiya Folks, I'm in the process of painting the interior of the house and am about 1/3 of the way done. I keep running into two problems that are taking a vast amount of time to correct and I'm hoping the wisdom of the group might have some advice to avoid the problems.

  1. Where two colors meet on say a corner or wall, I'm taping off the one color and then painting up to the tape. No matter how hard I apply the tape, it seems the new color seeps under the tape and I end up having to take a very small artist brush and painting the entire line again. I'm using the 3M Blue painters tape if that means anything. I realize the texture of the wall is probably causing most of my problems but was hoping someone might have an idea how to get the tape to fill all the recesses (the texture really isn't that "deep" if you will).

  1. Related to the above problem, I have saltillo tile on the floor and paint has gotten under the tape there too and has ended up on the grout. Any suggestions on how to clean this up?

Thanks much, Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Use a good quality 2 or 2 1/2 inch brush like Purdy and just take your time and do the edges. With a little practice, you'll find its easier than masking off with tape. The key is using a good brush. As far as the paint on the tile, if your using latex paint just use water and a little elbow grease.

Reply to
Mikepier

Tape is usually a waste of time. Your best course of action is to get a proper brush and use the proper technique. Since I can't really describe it in words, I'll have to let you find out some other way. You will not need tape on inside corners. You especially will not need tape on outside corners since they are easy and practically paint themselves. For 2 paint colors on the same flat wall, here's a technique that might help. You must paint both colors, not just one new color. Let's say you want to paint the left half of the wall white, and the right half of the wall red. Paint the left half of the wall white. You should spread over onto the red side a little. Let the paint dry, and then "cure" for several days. Put the tape down so the tape is covering part of the white half. Now paint over the tape line with white paint. You are painting part of the red half with white paint. This is so that the white paint will seep under the tape, but it will seep onto the part of the wall that is already white. Wait until the paint dries. The white paint has now sealed that tape line so no more paint can get under. Leave the tape there and paint the red half of the wall. Remove the tape before the paint dries, and voila, clean paint line.

Reply to
jeffc

I'll disagree on the "tape is a waste of time". Try this:

- Paint one wall color. Call this "A". - Let this dry. - Place tape on the color you just painted. ("A") - Here is the trick - Paint the edge of the tape with color "A". Color "A" will seep under the edge of the tape onto the wall that you painted "A". It also SEALS the edge of the tape. - Let this dry. - NOW paint color "B". - Remove the tape.

You are left with a razor sharp line. You still have to reasonably apply the tape, but this really works well. With all due respect to the steady hand crowd, you can not get this result with a brush.

The downside is that it is a lot of work, and depending on the results you want, a good brush and a steady hand can do quite a good job.

Reply to
dak

Thanks folks. The ideas of painting the tape line with the color you just covered up makes a lot of sense! I will be trying that from now on. In the meantime, I'm probably ready for bi-focals trying to clean up the current lines I've got. As for the paint on tile question, the paint is actually on the grout, not the tile. I figured a bit of elbow grease would work but was wondering if there might be a better solvent to use vs. water. Thanks for the help!!!! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

clipped

Try using a smaller brush, not so heavilly loaded and paint away from the edge of the tape, not toward it. Take the tape off right away. A long metal straight edge may work better than tape, but you don't want to load the brush or drag paint under whatever edge you use.

My only paint disaster experience was in helping a neighbor whose painter had a few too many beers. Formula 409 works nicely on dry but not cured latex paint. A toothbrush and hot water on the grout might help. You don't want to spill paint on concrete or grout, as it is about impossible to get out.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

I am certain that it is a physical impossibility for some of us to paint a steady, non-wavy line. Wonder if there is a pill for that? :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Alcohol removes latex very fast. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Great idea! I will have to try it sometime.

BTW, many people get very frustrated with masking tape. I noticed out OP did use blue 3M tape, maybe not the best, but it normally works about as good as any. Basic old tan masking tape is totally worthless.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan