A/C Window unit 10K

this unit is a 1.5 years old and it cuts out the external overload....jumping out the exteral OL, the compressor runs, but you can feel it heating up and it will eventually cut out the internal overload. I know these units are probably not worth replacing a compressor.. But I was wondering...is it possibly an internal problem w/ the compressor or could it be a low freon problem causing high pressure, and then cutting out? Is it worth putting a line tap on it to check the pressures to see? (I don't mind 'tinkering' w/ it, but I don't want to put any money in it) Thanks for your advise!

Low on refrigerant causing high pressure problems?????
"but I don't want to put any money in it"
Wouldn't the tap cost money? :-)
BTW, do you hold an EPA card? If not, your not allowed to work on the sealed system.
DONT torture it to death SHOOT IT

Ah, a real man. Would you use a Colt six shooter?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

describe? There are no "overload" switches in an A/C. A unit may have high and low pressure switches but "overloads," no.
Clean the filter and the ice will stop forming on the evaporator. The unit will perform normally after that (until the filter gets dirty again).
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Try telling Copeland, Tecumseh, Bristol, Danfoss, Carlyle, etc that their compressors have no 'overloads'. LOL

But what if, its not the filter?

They possibly have pressure limit and temperature limit switches not "overloads." None of those folks actually measure a compressor load, e.g. the work the compressor is performing. A breaker would come closer to be an actual overload switch...

But it most likely is, even if you didn't think of it.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I agree clean and should run till dirty again window units rarely have overloads just temp shutdowns
The window AC I've serviced have a protector that trips in case of high temperature of the compressor, or high amperage. What's your source of information? Is it dark in there?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Do you mean: other than working on systems what is your source of information?

there are fusible links. There are no actual compressor load protectors either internal or external that the orginal poster claimed.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
: : > Every window shaker AC I've worked on has had an overload : > protector for the compressor. What's your source of information? : : Do you mean: other than working on systems what is your source of : information?
CY: I didn't say "other than", I asked the source of information. : : > : > I've never seen a high or low pressure limit switch in a window : > AC. : > : What exactly is this "overload protector" measuring? There are breakers and : there are fusible links. There are no actual compressor load protectors : either internal or external that the orginal poster claimed.
CY: Amperage, and temperature. Most compressors I service, the overloads are external. One brand (Copeland?) puts the overload internal.
http://www.fridgedoctor.com/fridge-doctor-book/compressor-overloads-for-a-split-phase-motor-compressor.html Web page about refrigerator overloads.
: : : -- : --- : there should be a "sig" here
AFAIK, all window units come with a 5 year compressor warranty-- some with P&L on the "sealed system". If the unit is actually no more than 1 1/2 y/o, first try and talk to the store mgr where the unit came from and see if they will just replace it. I have an old friend who bought a small unit from HD, and at just under 2 y/o the fan quit. He took the cover off and found that the whole bracket or whatever the fan assy was mounted to had rusted away. He took it back to HD and raised some hell and got a new unit. Good luck Larry

infer load which is not the same thing. Does amperage equal load? No, of course not. Amperage *may* indicate load but it doesn't necessarily measure it. Got it?
The original poster described a condition typical of icing caused by low air flow through a dirty filter. Compressor load is most likely not an issue.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote in 3156.bay.webtv.net: