$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Page 2 of 3
Lets look at a couple examples. Outlawing murder.... did that help? Washington DC and New York City outlawed private citizen poesession of handguns. Did that help? Nationwide, the US outlawed cocaine, heroin, crack cocaine. Did that help?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So your point is that outlawing stupidity would not help you in the least then?

You can still buy it there is just no demand.
For example: United Refrigeration http://www.uri.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/PrcTransaction/en_US/-/USD/ViewCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=4OesEEGSCTgAAAELvyTXCpUW&OnlineFlag=1

Ya right. You should never need to add refigerent! Leaks do happen but not often. I find far more misdiagnosed over charged systems then I do leaks.

Funny I just picked up a white jug of refrigerant last week. LOL
What was your source?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Or wait until they have R-410B and then you'll really get fucked. Let's face it you have to have PLANNED obsolescence in products or we'd all be out of work. Yeah I know the "new" refrigerant is good for the environment.......the PAYCHECK environment. Xeno

There are a number of factors which will drive costs. Which refrigerant are you going with? R22 will be cheaper but there's a fear that you won't be able to service your units in a few years as production of said refrigerant and equipment will cease. I dunno, I can still get parts for my 67 Ford Mustang just fine so it's not a real worry for me. The newer refrigerant units (R-410 I believe) will cost more but supposedly will last longer (ie. production of). That being said, all the guys that came out to give me quotes seemed to think the R-410 was over hyped, under tested, and not worth the extra expense. Time will tell. When the company did mine, they had to run new supply lines through the ductwork under the house (concrete slab), remove the old Evap. cooler, modify the furnace, and do all the hookups. Mine's a 4 ton unit Rheem. Cost ended up being about $3400 however, I did all the electrical myself which saved about $500 off the bid price. I got 3 quotes. The other 2 were: $6500 and $10000. Both had the electrical in them. I'd definitely recommend getting as many quotes as reasonable to narrow the price down. Good luck. Cheers, cc

Yup... and that was all before the first of this year.... what you didn't bother to tell the guy was the efficiencies of the systems in the other bids. Paying $3400 for a 4 ton Rheem system *installed*, had to be for a 10 SEER system, or your installer got it out the back door of a supply house. In case you didn't bother to look, January 28 2006 the minimum efficiency got jacked up to 13 SEER.
FYI a 4 ton 13 SEER heat pump and air handler, *installed* runs in the neighborhood of $6,000 - $7,000.

Wrong. My unit is a 13 SEER.

got model numbers?? BTW...what you gonna do for warranty repairs when the installer goes belly up working for free??

I thought that warranty is offered by manufacturers and warranty work can be done by any authorized reps. Am I mistaken?

belly
Was Chicken Little mistaken ?
--
SVL

That, I can't answer, but I do have an inside source that tells me he's pretty sure that Humpty Dumpty was pushed.....
--
Respectfully, Bob

wrote

Just sometin I got going at present.. a nagging issue where a certain individual wants to always push the installing of a complete new system...
And so he goes on and on about non-existant warranty issues, the possible un-availability of gas...
Remind you of anyone here ???
--
SVL

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:32:12 GMT, Ignoramus3077

When are you going to go away?

No you are correct. BUT he has a valid point.
I can only speak for myself, but I do not want to eat the extra time (claim forms ...) on warranty repairs unless I know the customer.
8(
Danny, the warranty is a fair mark-up on price and a livable labor rate. It is great when you can couple it with a PM contract. Then the customer never turns down a repair, and you are already there doing a PM
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

The warranty is originally assigned to the contractor that purchased it. If you are unhappyt with that contractor, you can have it transferred to another Trane Contractor for $25
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Sure. RCBA048 Coil. RAND048JAZ 4 ton, 13 SEER condenser.
I hardly believe they'll be going belly up any time soon. They've been in business here for over 35 years. (or is it 40. Don't remember but either way they are one of the most respected outfits here in town). Just what sort of labor rates are you using anyway?