3 way switches shows 2 hot wires

Trying to wire in a Intermatic ST01 timer on a 3 way circuit. I've farted around 1/2 the day and still no luck even tho I could have sworn I followed the instructions. My daughter said to me earlier that the reason it didn't work is because the installer had a few loose wires so I gave her the look. Anyway, that's what I'm checking for now at the main (hot) end because I think the remote (leg) end is tight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply to
Doug

Well, your daughter sounds like a wise woman. FYI, that timer doesn't wire like a standard 3 way switch. When installing the timer itself, you only need to know the common wire of the circuit. It gets attached to the black wire of the timer. The other two wires of the circuit go to the blue and red wires of the timer. This end of the circuit is done. Now you need to install the jumper on the other switch. You need to remove the common wire and one of the other wires from the switch, wire nut them together along with the small jumper wire. Once the 3 wires are connected together, you install the other end of the jumper on to the common terminal of the switch. Note: you will only have two wires connected to this switch. Now it should work.

Reply to
RBM

If you still have problems, click on this link:

Then click on the instructions for installing the jumper and watch the video

Reply to
RBM

Whoops, you have to click on the "resources" tab first

Reply to
RBM

I tried to find instructions for that switch online. I lost interest. If you can post the link to instructions it would be a big help.

The best way to start is to disconnect all wires. If the switch is for single pole or 3 way, one of the screws will be marked common. If you have that, it is pretty easy to walk you through.

You took pictures of how the switches were wired before you disconnected them, right? :)

Reply to
Metspitzer