3-way switch problems

Page 2 of 2  


Couldn't this be possible with a shared neutral? The reason I ask is because I was changing a fixture the other day for a woman, had the switch off (this was just a single pole switch), unscrewed the fixture and checked the wires with one of those pen like non contact voltage testers and there was still juice. I figured it must just be a false reading so I took the wirenuts off (the hot only had one wire with it in the wire nut and the neutral had two). When I took the neutral wire nut off the wires came apart and arced a bit. I thought it was strange, so I kept touching them together and pulling them apart and noticed the clock on the microwave was turning on and off so I shut off the microwave breaker too and the voltage went away. When I got to the hallway fixture, same type of thing, tester read voltage pulled off the wire nuts this time the neutral arced good with a nice sounding pop. Turns out the hallway neutral was being shared with the computer room neutral and being that the computer was drawing more current then the microwave clock circuit I got a bigger arc until my disconnecting them turned off the computer. This is just another thought because I don't know if the OP posted whether he just test from neutral to hot or hot to ground or neutral to ground. By the way this house was wired in 72 and I am not sure if it was standard practice back then to share a neutral without a double pole breaker, but I would imagine there are other circuits in there that are wired this way.
Shane
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

The reason that you are getting a pop is because there is a load on the neutral (microwave or computer) The electrons are being attracted across the small gap. This is normal, and also why some people incorrectly say you can't get shocked by the neutral. Even though the light you are working on is off anything else downstream is still on. I wired my sisters house. When she was in the kitchen she would get a pop when she plugged in her fry daddy. She asked me if I had done something wrong. I told her no. The reason the fry daddy pops is because it is always on.
It was easy to explain to her in the kitchen why there was nothing wrong. I took the plug for the can opener and plugged it in the outlet. No pop. I then turned the can opener on and plugged it in. Pop.
Opening the neutral will cause the same type thing. It will also shock you as it is 120V across the gap.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.