3 way switch. 2 switches 2 recessed lights in the hall way

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:43:21 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Did they trip the breaker that time they stopped working? Did you turn the lights to the off position, even though they weren't on, then reset the breaker and just not turn those lights on again?
If not, what did happen then?

Was the maker of the fixture saying there had been a problem with the lights for a while? (Maybe this doesn't matter much since they said there was a problem with yours.)

The two lights are meant to go on at the same time, right?
So if there were a short in the light you did NOT change, that would account for the breaker tripping this last time.
If I were in your shoes, I'd disconnect the black wire going to the black wire of that second light. I'd put a wire nut on each disconnected wire, in case they end up being left unconnected.
Then I'd reset the breaker and see if the one you replaced works.
If it does, I'd replace the second one like you did the first.
If it doesn't, I guess I'd recommend an electrician.

Exactly.
But a short could have developed in one or both lights. Most likely only one, and not the one you replaced, if the one you didn't replace still has a short.
If replacing the second one fixes things, there's a good chance the first one you removed was okay, This might matter if you still have it.
Top posting because no particular line below is relevant.
I didn't pay any attention to your two 3-way switches.
First 3-way switches are really two-way, as you problably know. They are called 3-way because they have three screws and require 3 wires to get full benefit from them. Just a factoid.
It's possible to put a 3-way switch half-way between up and down, and in that case, no position of the other switch will turn things on.
I relally doubt if that coulld still be the case after all your fiddlin' and it woudn't account for the pop. But I thought I should mention it.