20a outlet on 30a circuit?

I am installing a new 240v circuit. As long as I am doing it I am putting in a 30a breaker and #10 cable in case I ever need it.

At the moment the device I want to use has a 20a plug, and I have some 20a outlets? Is it alright to use them (analogous to putting a 15a outlet on a

20a circuit) or must I get a 30a plug and outlet?

I have to buy a quad breaker for this, so it is impractical to use a 20a breaker now and upgrade if I need it.

Reply to
Toller

NO.

Yes. Or use a 20A breaker.

NEC Table 210.21(B)(3) Circuit rating (amperes) Receptacle rating (amperes)

15 not over 15 20 15 or 20 30 30 40 40 or 50 50 50
Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm no electrician, but I'm thinking from a safety perspective that if the circuit is capable of supplying 30A before its breaker will open, all outlets on that circuit better be able to handle 30A without melting.

Hopefully someone who knows electrical code will chime in, but I you have good reason to be asking the question.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.