2001 Toyota Seinna Van & check engine light

Check engine light on - think it is bad O2 sensor - is there any damage that can result of running the van with out replacing this sensor? Only drive less that 150 miles a month and vehicle seems to be running well with no change in mileage, etc. Do not want to fork over the $200 to $350 to replace it right not. Do any of the auto parts stores read the car computer for a error code free?

Reply to
hillclimber

Hi, If it is O2 sensor, you can replace it. Just need special socket. It does not cost so much. Sure )2 sensor is bad? You read OBD II code? There is posibility it can damage cat. converter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Check Auto-Zone for a code reading. I believe that they advertise that they do it, hoping to sell you the part.

Reply to
C & E

jadunn13_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (hillclimber) wrote in news:a628a$4ada2d45$45499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

Autozone.

there's at least TWO O2 sensors,one before and one after the converter. V-6s and V-8s may have double the number.(Bank 1 and Bank 2)

The front O2S is used to adjust fuel mixture for best combustion,and the after-O2S checks the converter for proper operation.If you run the converter too rich,it gets extremely hot,the insides melt or fracture,and then the exhaust is restricted,and the motor suffers.

and you probably will not pass any emissions test your state may require.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi, I built a OBD II to USB interface box from a simple kit. I use laptop to read code. There are many freeware for this purpose. Not only reading a code, the software can do all kind of things.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most parts stores will read the the codes for free. Alternately, Harbor Freight sells the readers, and they will work with most vehicles with OBD.

Here's one for twenty bucks:

If you need to replace the sensor, do it yourself, it ain't rocket surgery.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Leaving the gas cap loose or off with motor running can cause the sensor to go on, it can take a long time to reset, most auto stores code read for free.

Reply to
ransley

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

and you can borrow the special socket from Advance Auto Parts,free.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Many places will run the diagnostic free. If it is an O2 sensor, that can make the computer mis-compute the gas mixture. You mileage will most likely drop or it could increase. You can burn up your converter too. Another thing, I have seen the O2 sensor mount so rusted that it has to be drilled out and tapped or the pipe section replaced. It CAN run into much money. So if you intend to run it into the ground and don't need emissions tests in your state, run it. If the catalytic converter melts, take it off and throw it away and replace it with a straight pipe.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw