15 gage wire on 20 amp circuit

It's not a problem at all with 15A circuits.

While that would work, it isn't necessary if you are wiring with 15A.

No 14g is sold for folks that know what they're doing.

This isn't a big deal. Matching the wire gauge to the circuit amperage capacity is a no-brainer. It's only a problem when the DIY doesn't DTH (do their homework).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I agree with all the above.

However if the USA only sold 12 guage, then there not only WOULD not but also COULD not be a problem in current typical home wiring.

The problem of wire SIZING would cease to exist for the types of circuits we are talking about. There would only be ONE size wire for these circuits.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

It is faster, cheaper, and easier to work with 14 over 12 gauge. Why punish everyone for the possible sins (stupidity?) of a few? Lighting circuits are easily wired with #14 on a 15A fuse. So are light duty household circuits.

Done properly, there are NO problems with #14 wire. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And if my grandma had balls, she would be my grandpa.

Number 14 wire is easier to work with [than #12], uses less copper to produce, and can be used with smaller outlet boxes. It's perfectly safe if you follow the rules.

Rather than outlaw #14 building wire, it would be more productive to outlaw stupid people.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yeah, but then we'd have discussions (fewer of them, I grant you, but still a non-zero number) about whether it's OK to use 12-ga wire on a 30A circuit.

Reply to
Doug Miller

According to Jay :

There are some cases where you can use smaller wire for a subbranch than the branch breaker permits[1], but sticking a lightbulb via 14ga on a 20A residential circuit ain't one of them.

The rationale being that it's okay to finesse a few "special purpose" circuits (ie: high amperage) that are unlikely to be futzed with and are unlikely to have faults.

But not with an ordinary 15A or 20A circuit, because 5 years down the road the DIYer is going to be wiring an outlet to supply a 2000W heater, or he'll throw the electric razor in a fit of anger, and the light fixture will fault such that it conducts 19A over a 14ga circuit and won't trip the breaker.

[1] Mostly to do with motors, tho, downsized short branches for separate cooktop/oven combinations are also permitted in some circumstances, and would be just about the only time you'd see that in residences. Sometimes known as the "25' rule". [details vary from locale to locale]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

That wouldn't be conduit. Especially plastic. Remember the conduit fill tables in the code books are for ampacity _DE_rating.

Free air melt point for bare 18ga, 25C ambient, is 100A. Whereas its inwall safe rating is around 5A.

Environmental considerations and safety margins play a vastly bigger role than most people think. Wire sizes in electronics and transformers, for example, follow different rules.

There wouldn't be many times that a 14ga wire would be acceptable at 20A _inside_ a house if it's acceptable _anywhere_. "Free air" doesn't really apply enough indoors to be worth considering.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I didn't think he yelled loud enough ;-)

His yelling may better have been aimed at some of those people who were telling him it was okay. I just hope he saves that rant for reuse.

Can I borrow it for the electrical wiring FAQ Tom?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Do you have a wiring FAQ? I'd like to see it.

bmason at accesswave dot ca if you could please send it, thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
Fisher Price

check out

This has more on wiring than any place I've ever seen

Reply to
DaveG

According to Fisher Price :

This is one of the canonical places that get updated as it's reposted:

You can find it on google quite easily, but many of those don't automatically update.

Reply to
Chris Lewis