15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker

Page 2 of 2

There's good reason for that: those push terminals are made for use with 14ga wire, and *not* for 12ga. You're not _supposed_ to be able to put 12ga wire into them.
On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:03:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Only idiots use those push terminals anyhow. I wish they would stop putting them on outlets. They are dangerous. REAL electricians use the screws. I NEVER use the push terminals. Also, #12 wire is no harder to use than #14 on the screws, if you know how to bend a good hook with a plyers.
Yes this is fine and is very common.
And if I were a contractor wiring another persons house, I would install cheap 15 amp switches and outlets on 20 amp circuits. -More profit for me!
For *my* house, it is a different story! I like long lasting quality. I have installed "commercial grade" 20 amp outlets and switches on 20 amp circuits. I did this because these are better quality switches and outlets.
So if replacing an outlet (especially one which is frequently used), you will have the option of installing a 50 cent outlet or a $2.50 commercial grade 20 amp outlet. The $2.50 outlet will last longer and will make better contact with the plug.
It makes my life more pleasant when I don't need to be bending the prongs of a plug to get it to stay in a worn out outlet.
And so far as the 20 amp "commercial grade" switches go. Also better quality.
If I were in your shoes, I would not go around replacing all the switches and outlets since they are already installed. But if one needed replacement, I would go with the higher quality 20 amp "commercial grade" switch or outlet.
I also bought a $150.00 "commercial grade" front door lockset. (Can only buy at a locksmith.) This will last a lifetime. I've known other people who buy $30 locksets, then in ten years buy another because it is worn out $30 + $30 = $60, then again in the next ten years $60 + $30 = $90, etc. $120, $150. Hummm, I guess they spend the same on their locksets as I did on mine, except I don't need to replace mine every 10 years....
"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message

up.
please
and/or