14-3 wire OK for fan/light fixtures?

Hello all!
Is 14-3 wire OK for wiring a ceiling fan/light fixture's 3-way switches? My setup is going to be something like this:
http://www.the-home-improvement-web.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option4.htm
I have 12-2 running to the fixture, and was hoping to use 14-3 for running to the switches. I figure 14 gauge can handle 15 amps and I won't be needing more than a couple of amps to run the fan. Do I need the 12-3, or can I use the 14-3?
Thanks!
As long as you have it on a 15A circuit breaker, what you propose is just fine.
--
Steve Barker

i'm not sure, here's the faq: http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1 /
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.the-home-improvement-web.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option4.htm
No, you should maintain the size of the conductors already in the circuit

http://www.the-home-improvement-web.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option4.htm
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.the-home-improvement-web.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option4.htm
The only problem is later someone may figure that since they see 12 gauge on the circuit that the whole circuit is 12 gauge and add a heater to that fan/light. Also you did not note if the circuit was protected by a 20 amp or 15 amp breaker. Clearly you do not want 14 gauge on a 20 amp circuit.
12-3 is not going to cost you much more and then you can add that heater if you want it later. Do it right now and you will not need to do it over later.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Yes, it's on a 20A circuit. I'll go with the 12-3 like you all recommend. Thanks for the tips!