Where can I get a used lawn tractor engine?

Hi,

Where should I be looking to find a rpelacemtn for a B&S 15.5 hp IC engine? I want a used one because I'm just going to be using this tracotr for plaowing snow off the driveway, I upgraded to a ZTR mower when the engine blew on this one.

It's been surprisingly hard to find a suitable engine on the net, even Ebay seems to have very little selection.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gearing up for winter in Chicago

P.S. If anyone has an advice on how high/low I should go with the hp I would appreciate that as well.

Reply to
rred_

These folks can help you:

Oscar_Lives

Why take a chance on a used one? I'd rebuild mine.

Reply to
<Hut_234

My guess is that you can spend $75 for a used engine, spend 4 hours exchanging them and have no idea how good the "new" engine is or spend $100 to buy an old running machine without a mower deck, hook up a plow and do your thing.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

"Why take a chance on a used one? I'd rebuild mine."

If you saw the old one you'd understand. We uh, had a little problem with it.

We pulled it off (only took about 1/2 hour) and my father -in-law (ex mechanic) pulled it apart, there's a broken rod among other problems.

I'd love to find an old lawn tractor for $100, but again, where do I look? I just did a search on Ebay, got one result which looked promising until I discovered I'd have to pick it up in Oklahoma.

Reply to
rred_

Don't be so hung up on eBay. I find them in local classifieds, in front of homes with for sale signs on them, on a local radio buy & sell program, on supermarket bulletin boards, at yard sales, and at the local Old Time Power Club flea market.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

You could fly out to Oklahoma and ride it back.

I think there is a way to limit ebay searches to your own area.

Harbor Freight sells new engines, but I have no idea about the quality.

Go to a guy who repairs lawn mowers. He'll have left overs. He may be able to start it for you before you buy it. He may be willing to guarantee it will start for a week or he'll exchange it. (assuming he has more than one that will fit.). The latter might not be so likely, and will have to be in writing I suppose.

There is a big guy near me who also sells parts for many brands, and there is a little guy near me who works out of his back yard. They both might have an engine. I'm pretty sure the little guy (about 65 years old) never throws away anything can be used again. (there is a corner next to his porch with nothing but wheel bolts.) OTOH, the big guy might do greater volume, and if you ask a guy like that to be on the lookout, he'll call you when someone scraps a tractor with the engine you need.. The other guy would too, but it might take him longer to find one if he doesn't have it already.

You can ask more than one place at the same time to keep an eye open. It's not immoral if you don't make promises, or if you only make promises you can and do actually keep.

mm

You were lucky. Most need to remove the drive pulley to get the motor off and sometimes that alone can take over half an hour. And, of course, fitting another one back on always takes longer. You'll be lucky is the mounting holes are even close - and if the carb will take the throttle and choke cables, etc. .

Reply to
Srgnt Billko