weeds in lawn

How can I stop/kill all these weeds from growing in my lawn?! Grass does fine in spring with very few weeds. But when July-August hits the damn weeds are unstoppable. Grass i have is fescue and I cut it often and leave it long. But that doesn`t work, weeds keep comming. What about chemicals? Or should i mow it shorter? I live in NJ very hot and humid. Thanks

You can use a 2-4-D product such as Killex to kill all the broad leaf weeds in your lawn, it wont harm the grass.
Mike wrote:

As long as you don't put it down when it's 85+ or the grass is already stressed from lack of water. Most weeds should have been dealt with earlier, like June, when temps were more moderate. If you work on this for a couple years, properly fertilize, seed if needed, etc, the lawn should not be full of weeds anymore. All that should be required is an occasional spot treatment with a sprayer of weeds.

But don't forget to water a lot.