Vole problem

I had just renovated the lawn last fall and now that the winter snow has melted, I see a ton of vole trails that have ravaged the turf in certain areas. For whatever reason, they seem to like my lawn over that of my two neighbors. My flower beds seem to have the surface tunnels too and I have managed to catch a few with peanut-butter and Victor mouse traps. Is there anything more that can be done to prevent further vole activity? Hopefully what is left of the lawn will be just fine after spring growth.
Carleton
have the same problem with moles here. killed about 90 of em over the last 3 years. lucas

That's a tough one. You might try a blanket organophosphate application if you can find the product. That will eliminate the voles' food source and then they should move on down the road. Dylox might be worth a try, it won't kill the voles necessarily, it only temporarily makes your soil food free.
If you can figure out which month(s) to apply it you may be able to rid your yard of them by proxy. (send them back to that neighbor that thought he had it made) :)
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:02:33 -0500, Carl W wrote:

The best solution is unfortunately probably not very practical. Snakes. daveA
If you see tunnels they are moles and you have grubs more than your neighbor. Voles are lazy and use the mole tunnels to get to your precious bulbs.. The dead grass you will see is not the result of the moles or voles but from the grubs which will turn into of course the Jap. Beetle in a few months. They are actually helping you.