Stump Removal

What's a good price to get a couple of large tree stumps removed?
Todd Lerfondler said:

I just had two very large trees (maple and ash) cut down, stumps ground, and debris removed for $750. That was a pretty good price for all that was done. The price wasn't broken down to each individual task.
Just call around, or ask your neighbors who they'd recommend.
--
Eggs

-I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.
You can do it yourself for the price of the rental of a stump grinder. Call a rental yard and ask. If you don't want to run it then add the cost of one mans wages for a day. To get a price from a contractor pick one out of the phone book and call. They don't charge for estimates and likely could give one over the phone.
Pat wrote:

A day to grind 2 stumps? A tree service can do this in less than an hour. I'd call around and get some quotes. If you can wait to have it done. I'd point that out to them. They may give you a better price if they can just swing by when they are in the area.
To get a price from a contractor pick one out of the

You can rent a stump grinder from the likes of HD for about $100US per day. Tomes

Todd Lerfondler wrote:

About $100 each to grind a stump, if the tree guy is already in the area. Expect to pay more if he is making a special trip just for your two.
Thanks for all the help guys...I never thought about renting a stump grinder.

I just had 80+ stumps removed. Ranging from 6 to 48" in diameter (some logs too). Done with an excavator - dug big holes and buried most of them - pushed some in a gully and buried them too. Cost three grand but he was here 2 full days and did some leveling and roadwork too.

If the stumps are buried under what is leveled, it will only be level until the stumps rot, then there will be a depression as the rotting stumps compress. Tomes

You are sort of right. They have to be buried real deep - and the operator runs the excavator right down on them to compress them. We did the same thing about 10 years ago (3 holes) and have only needed a garden cart (pull behind mower) full of dirt in each so far to fill depressions.

Cool, thanks for the real data. Tomes

The going rate in Atlanta is $1.75 per inch of diameter. They measure the diameter at soil level.